Discuss Light issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I changed a light switch in my master bath that had 3 black wires into the switch. I kept them oriented in the same way on the new switch, but now the light in my hallway bathroom doesn’t work. Why is this ??? I haven’t changed any other wires and I have checked the breaker. House was built in 1977

does the hallwaylight work when the bathroom light is on? if so you have the wiring at the switch wrong.

the hallway light works, but the bathroom one doesn’t. The bathroom is just located off the hallway
does the hallwaylight work when the bathroom light is on? if so you have the wiring at the switch wrong.

Attachments

• Light issue image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Light issue image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 15
your posts are contradictory.i post #1 you said the hall light did not work. in post 3 you say the bathroom light is not working.

your posts are contradictory.i post #1 you said the hall light did not work. in post 3 you say the bathroom light is not working.
9393 that looks like a 3 way switch, are you sure you bought the right switch and that possibly be your problem. Sounds to me like you need to hire an electrician because I’m sure the wires are crossed up

If you know the orientation of the wires reconnect the original and see what happens.

I don't see a ground wire connected to that green screw. Or is that optional in the USA?
If you know the orientation of the wires reconnect the original and see what happens.
Freddo if the house is very old yes they didn’t pull grounds back in the day. That light switch has 3 wires one of them is hot the other 2 probably go to the hall and bath room

So I got the hallway bathroom back on, but now the master shower doesnt work. I bought a line tester, one black is always hot the other two dead. When I turn on master bedroom light it makes another black wire hot! So the one that is always hot is going to common and the other hot one should go above the common or on the opposite side. But I did buy switch at a habitat for humanity restore, so that could also be the problem. What would the switch name be called? 3 way
[automerge]1573316556[/automerge]
There the other switch away thinking it would be a unplug and plug back in. ?‍♂️

Have you retried fitting the original switch to confirm the problem it at the new switch.

Freddo if the house is very old yes they didn’t pull grounds back in the day. That light switch has 3 wires one of them is hot the other 2 probably go to the hall and bath room
I am sure I can see grounds twisted together in the back box.
[automerge]1573317311[/automerge]
So did the original switch turn both lights on at the same time. I'm no expert with US switches but I agree with @Megawatt that looks like a 3 way switch.

Last edited:
So I got the hallway bathroom back on, but now the master shower doesnt work. I bought a line tester, one black is always hot the other two dead. When I turn on master bedroom light it makes another black wire hot! So the one that is always hot is going to common and the other hot one should go above the common or on the opposite side. But I did buy switch at a habitat for humanity restore, so that could also be the problem. What would the switch name be called? 3 way
[automerge]1573316556[/automerge]

There the other switch away thinking it would be a unplug and plug back in. ?‍♂️
Ok you got one light fixed and you say the last wire goes hot when you turn the switch on. Put that wire under the same screw opposite of the original hot wire where you have the hall light then they both will work. I’m convinced you have a 3 way switch. When you get a chance go buy a regular light switch

Ok you got one light fixed and you say the last wire goes hot when you turn the switch on. Put that wire under the same screw opposite of the original hot wire where you have the hall light then they both will work. I’m convinced you have a 3 way switch. When you get a chance go buy a regular light switch
This was my thinking if both lights come on at the same time. The black screw should have the hot and the other two are travellers?

Reply to Light issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock