Discuss Lighting circuit tripping on 17th edition board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wee_ron

I've been called to look at a lighting circuit which is tripping the rcd when one particular light is switched. I've disconnected the light and circuit stays on even when switched and getting voltage at connectors but when I add a bulb to the light it blows the trip instantly. Any suggestions on how to solve this fault???

Is this light on a landing by any chance? Sound to me like you've got a shared neutral between the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits, which will then make whichever RCD on that side of the board trip.

Good hunting!

soundsd very much like a shared neutral. usually both RCDs will trip when a load is switched on.

how can 2 lights share a neautral? how do u go about finding out if yes that is the problem and whys it not tripping both RCDS

Reply to Lighting circuit tripping on 17th edition board in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views
Long shot but thought I’d try, have a lighting circuit that trips the RCD as soon as the neutral touches the neutral bar for said RCD. Bypass that...
Replies
Views
I have a client with what appears to be an intermitent fault on the lighting, but trips the power. The installation has a 16th edition board with...
Replies
Views
I have an issue with a home lighting circuit 6A RCBO provides power to 13 bulbs which randomly keeps tripping, when I say randomly it keeps...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock