Discuss Lights for a swimming pool - ideas? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Existing customer has swimming pool that extends 4/5 feet above ground (sits on a concrete base). It's one of those where you swim against the waves. All well done and was very expensive. Because its outside he has built a timber building over the top of it (looks like a posh workshop) - Scottish weather and midges! Although it has windows the pool is now very dark and they have enquired about suitable lights.

I've tried the usual wholesalers and none can suggest anything. I've looked at some pool companies and drew a blank. The lights cant be recessed into anything due to the wooden structure and for zone 1 where they would be located need to be SELV 25V or 60V DC. The source of SELV has to be outside zones 0,1,2 Reg 702.410.3.4.1 etc etc.

Has anyone any experience and could you great people suggest any lights that might suit this environment?

Thank you.

Ip rated led tape?
With a bit of imagination it can look quite good, or like tacky fairy lights... depending on your point of view. :D

I thought only zone 0 (i.e. inside the batch/shower) had to be SELV, but zone 1 has to have RCD and be IP4x or better? (IP5x if significant spray, etc).

I think your right but I would go with ip65+ and SELV personally but as I found out here and I didnt get it at first until I did some calcs, voltage drop is a bit of a nightmare with ELV, I would not like to do swimming pool work :(

Last edited:
We have 16m pool in my work place. Anything metal, doesn't last in the pool hall. The main light is LED strip. Well I think it is, because whoever designed/installed it, put it in a false ceiling that can't be accessed without scaffolding out the pool!

Whatever lights you go for, make sure the manufacturers guarantee it, to survive the chlorine damp atmosphere.

Have you looked at marine lights ? They are built to withstand salty sea water. I've seen quite a few motor boats with underwater lights.

Reply to Lights for a swimming pool - ideas? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock