Discuss Lights only come on when main light is off.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

the glory years

Hi
I'm new here so be gentle. I have a reasonable knowledge of electrics and did an essential electrics course and my 17th Ed a few years ago. I have just tried to add 2 new lights from a feed from a bedroom lighting rose to 2 extra LED mains voltage lights off a seperate switch. After carefully locking off the mcb etc and wiring as per loop in, switch and loop out to 2nd light etc, they would only come on (via the pull switch )when the main bedroom light was turned off...? I can't work out why..? I know it must be obvious but it's been a while since I did any work (I'm looking to get some shadowing or trainee work as well) Anyone help ?

p.s the main light did have a low voltage lamp in it if that helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds as if you,ve taken the N from a switched L, instead of a N.

Oh right thanks....in the ceiling rose I've fed from ? So basically swap them round...? I was in a rush and couldn#t get me head round it etc..
Are there any other diagrams on here I can quickly refer to....with regard to what I was doing ?
Thanks

just check your connections in the fitting you've taken the feed from. should be obvious once you look.

I know...just one of those I expect that the longer I looked the less I could see !!! That's all it's likely to be I guess ? Thanks for your help though.

The bedroom light you came off from was it last on the circuit? (old colours, forget earths) IE. two reds, two blacks?
if so you may have picked up off the perment feed "Reds", and switch line black. as telectrix says check the conections, it will be ovious when you see it :)

Yes it was the last in the circuit..ie 2 reds 2 blacks. I fed from the red live and then the neutral off the neutral bar and earth to connector etc....?

My bet is the neutral is really the bedroom switch line, try swopping the neutral across over to the other black...

My bet is the neutral is really the bedroom switch line, try swopping the neutral across over to the other black...
Yeah could be..didn't think of that...Going back Saturday so I'll test them and give that a try. That's really all it can be I guess....?:crazy:
:crazy:

Is it really wise to be just 'swapping cables round' ??

Sry Glory years, should have made a complete list.
Isolate supply
using an aproprate Ohm Meter, test between Reds (third plate) and one black
operate the switch and see if you get continuity. (lamp removed)
then do the same on the other black.
one of the blacks will show continuity when the switch is operated..
this is the switch line for that light and is not the neutral

:) Joking aside you are right mickys86 sometimes what you would just do on site really needs a thought or two when typing here..

swapping wires round will have one of three results:-

1. it works. 2. it don't work. 3. it goes bang.

i vote for no.3.

Hi
I'm new here so be gentle. I have a reasonable knowledge of electrics and did an essential electrics course and my 17th Ed a few years ago. I have just tried to add 2 new lights from a feed from a bedroom lighting rose to 2 extra LED mains voltage lights off a seperate switch. After carefully locking off the mcb etc and wiring as per loop in, switch and loop out to 2nd light etc, they would only come on (via the pull switch )when the main bedroom light was turned off...? I can't work out why..? I know it must be obvious but it's been a while since I did any work (I'm looking to get some shadowing or trainee work as well) Anyone help ?

p.s the main light did have a low voltage lamp in it if that helps...

your switching a feed

it was the thought of messing about rewiring fuses that mase us get it right first time

I was in a rush and couldn#t get me head round it etc..

try using that excuse in a court of law if your house burns down.
you should never be in a rush when working on electrical circuits. get an electrician in to do the job properly who will have made plenty of time to do the job without being in a rush and making the job safe

I was in a rush and couldn#t get me head round it etc..

try using that excuse in a court of law if your house burns down.
you should never be in a rush when working on electrical circuits. get an electrician in to do the job properly who will have made plenty of time to do the job without being in a rush and making the job safe
I'm fine, thanks anyhow. I know all of that, I know the problem now and I DO have enough knowledge to have left it all safely disconnected. I appreciate your concern though.

Reply to Lights only come on when main light is off.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock