Discuss Limiting power from sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
I have an Airbnb and some guests are charging their cars off of power sockets in my kitchen. So not only is this outwith my insurance coverage it is costing me a lot of money.

Are there sockets which can either

1) limit current?
Or
2) time out automatically after 30 minutes or so

I can have sockets added with USB outlets for phone charging.

Or should I have kitchen and other appliances hard wired in or changed over to 5A sockets as I don’t have any worktop appliances which take more than that. Is that feasible?

Any other ideas?

You could replace the circuit breaker in the consume unit with one of a smaller size….. but that might not be enough for normal kitchen usage.

A simple label… but there’s no way to police that unless you are there to catch them in the act.

Put in a dedicated charge point, with a pay-for-use system.

Along with the cost of electricity, a standard socket isn’t built to take prolonged high load such as a car.

It doesn't take much Googling to find it's a Worldwide problem, no surprise there, more so in places like the U.K where energy costs are high.

Changing sockets won't work, you'd have to eliminate all 13amp sockets in the property as it seems Airbnb guests are sometimes using extension leads as well, where sockets are out of reach.

Fitting a prepayment card meter might deter people but may also lead to annoying phonecalls in the middle of the night demanding a resolution when the credit runs out.
Even putting it in the house rules won't stop people.

If I was an Airbnb guest and found out the previous guests had been charging an EV car, or 2, I'd be demanding a refund for half a tank of petrol for my car/s.

Pay as you charge might work for some, but there will always be people who won't use it and will expect and even intentialy arrive low charged, free charging.

Airbnb are going to have to address it somehow regarding a specific extra charge for E.V

As someone on a thread I read pointed out, what's going to happen when a relative or friends come to stay at your own house with you and ask to plug in their E.Vs ?

Put in an EV charging point then factor it and it's usage in to your pricing.

It's the same issue with tourists having the heating on full and the windows open.

Unfortunately some guests will be more expensive than others.

On the plus side you can get more for a week than you would for a month long letting.

If someone arrives with an EV, from some distance away, they are going to need to charge it, either with or without your help. Putting obstacles in they way will just mean they need to be more creative in achieving that.

So I'd suggest putting in an EV charger, it will also be an added feature of the property. As to whether you make a separate charge for using it (and how to enforce that), or whether you just build the electric cost into the overall fee is up to you.

As someone on a thread I read pointed out, what's going to happen when a relative or friends come to stay at your own house with you and ask to plug in their E.Vs ?
Tell them where the nearest public charge point is....

If you already have a charge point for your own car, spin them some B.S that it's set up for your car, and your car only. Any other car, it won't work... so don't try.
Wouldn't be difficult for the software to have a handshake protocol between charge point and one specific vehicle written in by design.

Back to the OP's issue.
Just a label to say they can't charge vehicles from the house sockets and put it in the paperwork.... get them to agree and sign a document....

It might stop some of them, but there will always be ones that try it on.

A smart energy monitor on the property, so that you can see what's being used by each guest over the duration of their stay... Give them a quota... or "fair use" policy on energy usage.... Break the quota, and they get charged more.

Do you have a cleaner or caretaker that can drop by when asked to catch them out?
(I'm presuming you don't live nearby yourself?)

Get one of those car chargers fitted that takes payment by card or by the app that way if they want to use it they'll get a proper fast charge and they'll have to pay for it

Put in a specific EV point which requires additional payment they will generally use another socket. Put in a free to use EV point and put an extra cost to all tenants, you don't have to state why. Some will use it some won't so in the long run you will be quids in.

Put in an EV charging point then factor it and it's usage in to your pricing.

It's the same issue with tourists having the heating on full and the windows open.

Unfortunately some guests will be more expensive than others.

On the plus side you can get more for a week than you would for a month long letting.

This seems the most effective solution as it provides a safe means of charging and including the cost in overall rental price deters those who would avoid using a charger that requires additional payment (of which I'd expect there to be quite a few).

Of course if the OP believes their 'guests' are decent people, they could fit a payment facility for the charger. I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and offer 'free' charging, believing that risks from a small number of freeloaders outweigh any concerns about fairness.

Put in EV charge point giving 7KW (32A) will be much better than a socket, advertise the facility and put your rates up. If you get regulars and you know they dont have an EV, you have negotiation room.

As others have said - take the lead on the issue and monetise it in your favour.

There are engineering solutions that could be built/installed to do as your OP asked but after some costly works with a lot of infrastructure required you’d not be on a cost-effective path.

You can buy sockets and plugs that have a different pin configuration so that you can control exactly what can be plugged in. Only the appliances fitted with the right plug will be usable, you have to replace the outlets and appliances with these special plugs and standard ones won't fit. Wouldn't cost too much either

You can buy sockets and plugs that have a different pin configuration so that you can control exactly what can be plugged in. Only the appliances fitted with the right plug will be usable, you have to replace the outlets and appliances with these special plugs and standard ones won't fit. Wouldn't cost too much either
Until some clever dick guest disconnects the special plug off the toaster and attaches it to his charge cable….. and puts it back.

Adding a free to use charge point, and increasing the rate for everyone seems the best choice. Although expensive to implement, and might put off non EV drivers.

Cheap first step is a polite notice. If 2 or 3 guests are doing this, and the notice stops just one… then you’ve saved a bit.

I think in Real Politik terms airbnb get a lot of money from the lets, and sadly the people who can definitely afford it are those people who can afford electric cars. Therefore your market is those very same people who want a bit of kickback in getting the freebie of EV charging. Read the meter before the letting and at the end and arrange in the agreement that the surcharge over an agreed amount that is included will be retrospectively applied thus covering yourself after a certain agreed level of included electricity. Maybe a smart meter screen that shows the tenant how many units they have used so they can tell when they have exceeded the agreed amount and understand the meter is ticking after that amount of units. I think with some chargers there is the consideration of whether your existing installation can support the amount of current draw. As well as this, I am sure there are circumstances where D.C. currents may cause failure of RCD and compromise the safety of the tenant. You would need to evaluate that with an electrician. It may have insurance implications as well. It very much depends on whether these portable (?) EV chargers have built in D.C. leakage cut-off devices. I mostly imagine they would but you don't know and can't assume without enquiry.

Is there hardware and an app out there somewhere that allows you to remotely monitor the electricity being used?
I've had this problem a couple of times, but have the advantage of being on site, so can catch them at it.

That would be like installing a petrol pump and giving them free fuel 😀. I provide holiday accommodation and am not a fuel station😂. Times are tough enough without paying for people to drive about for free.
I read your post and at first agreed with it. However, I'm not so sure actually. We don't have petrol pumps in our own homes, but we do have EV chargers. Supplying energy for our vehicles in changing towards having it available at our own homes and this probably would be a good selling point for you.

One option may be talk about all of this on your website. Specifically mention the fact that you have noticed more and more people using the electricity to charge their cars. Then go on to say that because of this reason you have installed an EV charger for this purpose, but you would need to charge for this. Perhaps get a meter installed and if the customer uses over a certain (fairly high) amount of electricity you could charge.

I still think the best option (least hassle) would be just to fit it and offer it as part of the whole package, after bumping up your prices just a little.

That would be like installing a petrol pump and giving them free fuel 😀. I provide holiday accommodation and am not a fuel station😂. Times are tough enough without paying for people to drive about for free.

Sticking to the fuel analogy; it would be akin to guests taking your heating oil to fuel diesel cars and you installing a 'free' charger, with costs covered by inflated rental charge, to remove the incentive.

Reply to Limiting power from sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock