Discuss Lithium-ion battery makers awarded nobel prize in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Mod
Supporter
Reaction score

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has awarded the 2019 Nobel Prize in Chemistry to John B Goodenough, M Stanley Whittingham, and Akira Yoshino for the development of lithium-ion batteries in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the press conference, the Nobel committee stressed how revolutionary this technology was and how it enables us to enjoy the freedom of portable devices – from mobile phones and laptops to electric cars and spacecraft – that we can simply recharge by plugging into the mains.

Stanley whittingham is British, born in Nottingham, Oxford education, and helped develop the lithium-ion battery while working for Exxonmobil, one of the world's biggest oil companies, in the 70's.

So according to the swedes, who like to consider themselves a very "woke" nation, big oil is not all bad.

It's not all good though either. :)

Apparently nearly all Nobel prize winners worked on their projects for the USA. And nearly all are white men.

So the prize itself isn't a brilliant accolade maybe.
The work was still all done regardless mind so they should be credited for that alone.

Zerax ... I think you misinterpreted his comment, you seem to have read it totally a different way to how it was posted.

Dan... could you please explain why "nearly all are white men" is an issue ?
Because white males (like myself) have it easier than women, or black men, when it comes to just about anything from being promoted in a job, not killed in a jail, and even being awarded nobel prizes.

Got a problem with me pointing out that?

It's not all good though either. :)

Apparently nearly all Nobel prize winners worked on their projects for the USA. And nearly all are white men.

So the prize itself isn't a brilliant accolade maybe.
The work was still all done regardless mind so they should be credited for that alone.

I think the Nobel Prize was initiated to eleviate the guilt that Alfred must have experienced through the developement of Nitroglycerin and later adapted to a safer, a chemically stable product Dynamite!
It also has been used to reduce angina and increase blood flow to the heart when experiencing an attack.
Kaboom

he shoulkd not feel guilty. nitro and dynamite is the friend of coal miners, gold diggers and bank robbers.

he shoulkd not feel guilty. nitro and dynamite is the friend of coal miners, gold diggers and bank robbers.
Actually, checking my info, it appears that some Itlian discovered Nitroglycerine by adding glycerin to concerntrated acids 120 years earlier, although very unstable and not very useful unless you wanted to blow yourself apart.
Do Bank robbers still use 'gelly'? Its much safer to become an investment banker or a CEO of a commodities company, you can then help yourself to unusually large bonuses each year with the backing of the investors.... and only appear at parliamentry select committees for a slap on the wrist if you get caught.

Because white males (like myself) have it easier than women, or black men, when it comes to just about anything from being promoted in a job, not killed in a jail, and even being awarded nobel prizes.
Can you get me up to speed on the %% of blacks, females and the lgbtqia crowd that need to be put on the podium every time an award is given?
It's getting harder to keep up with this PC -------- without someone getting offended.

Congratulations to the winners, regardless of race, gender or sexual preference.

Reply to Lithium-ion battery makers awarded nobel prize in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock