• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for work as an apprentice/mate in Dartford, Kent area. in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently done a Level 2&3 Electrical Installation course, and since come to the quick conclusion it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I know lots about hysteresis, and not very much about wiring up a house! I'm looking to work with a spark around the Dartford area so I can learn the job. I'm fully aware I'd need to start off as an apprentice, I just wanna get stuck in and get working again after spending all that money on that course and not working for five months while doing it!

Hi,

I've recently done a Level 2&3 Electrical Installation course, and since come to the quick conclusion it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I know lots about hysteresis, and not very much about wiring up a house! I'm looking to work with a spark around the Dartford area so I can learn the job. I'm fully aware I'd need to start off as an apprentice, I just wanna get stuck in and get working again after spending all that money on that course and not working for five months while doing it!
Start off as a mate, not an apprentice. You'll learn exactly the same but will be paid £5-10/hr more.

Is it even worth being an apprentice then?
If that's the only option, or if you're 17, yes definitely. But in my opinion as an adult it's quicker and easier to be a mate. More money, quicker. And if you keep your eyes and ears open you'll learn the same if not more than someone who did an apprenticeship. They're not all they're cracked up to be nowadays.

Hi,

We are commercial electricians and travel the country (so are not suitable for people who want to stay in one area or those with children/a Mrs who wants them home every night). We really do believe in training and have tried the Apprentice route more than once. Many youngsters don’t like leaving their mums 4 nights a week.
The real problem is the colleges. They insist upon one day a week physical attendance. This means that we cannot take them away to work during term time. Annoying because they actually learn more on site than sat in a classroom (which we have proven more than once because we have had to teach them ourselves instead of them keep failing at college.) Even if they allowed remote learning it could work because they could stay at the digs & ‘attend college’ whilst away – which is what happened during COVID.
The installation courses we can
So, our preferred route is the ‘experienced worker route’. We have absolutely brilliant ‘experienced workers’ who are truly experienced. Yet we have to put a ‘qualified’ & often totally inexperienced electrician with them. Those that want to are being trained (and paid) to go down this route with all the back up we can give. A win/win for all of us. We encourage branching out on their own if that’s what they want to do, with the opportunity to dip in & out of our work as they wish (with a bit of notice obviously!). Then, when there is a large contract up for grabs we can all work together reliably instead of being let down by those who give the rest of us a bad name with their attitude & poor workmanship.

If that's the only option, or if you're 17, yes definitely. But in my opinion as an adult it's quicker and easier to be a mate. More money, quicker. And if you keep your eyes and ears open you'll learn the same if not more than someone who did an apprenticeship. They're not all they're cracked up to be nowadays.
Why do you think it is quicker? As I thought you would do level 2-3 then nvq then am2. I thought this would take longer

Reply to Looking for work as an apprentice/mate in Dartford, Kent area. in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net