Discuss Looking to get some extra qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently in my first year of my apprenticeship, seeing as im in college only one day/night a week, i was thinking about doing an extra course. Any idea's?

Are there courses on cctv installation and maintenance? I wouldn't mind doing that, as i'm doing it in work now but would like the proof that i can do it. Data cables, fibre optic, intruder alarms. anything i dont mind.

Any advice on courses would be much appreciated.

I'm also curious to know, what courses are available after the apprenticeship? Hnc? Degree?

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm currently in my first year of my apprenticeship, seeing as im in college only one day/night a week, i was thinking about doing an extra course. Any idea's?

Are there courses on cctv installation and maintenance? I wouldn't mind doing that, as i'm doing it in work now but would like the proof that i can do it. Data cables, fibre optic, intruder alarms. anything i dont mind.

Any advice on courses would be much appreciated.

I'm also curious to know, what courses are available after the apprenticeship? Hnc? Degree?

It might be a good idea to tell us what you are doing at present and what you hope to have when finishing college before advising you on any extra course's to do.

But before you start looking at any extra course's it may be a good idea to get the basic one's first as some course's you will need other's as pre-requistes before your allowed to start them.

im doing the 2330

Aaron you have got a long journey ahead and it will get harder as you go so why not channel all your enegry to your present course for now?

Or if not start reading up about some of the study you will have to do in the next level of your course?

Warren :)

Ok, what courses are available after i finish my apprenticeship? I'd particularly like to do a degree.... but.... are there any degree's in this particular field?:confused: I know there's a hnc..

I know im jumping the gun a bit here but i like to have something to aim for lol

Ok, what courses are available after i finish my apprenticeship? I'd particularly like to do a degree.... but.... are there any degree's in this particular field?:confused: I know there's a hnc..

I know im jumping the gun a bit here but i like to have something to aim for lol

You can take it as far as you want to......and yes you can do a degree. Why not ask where you are taking your current study to other course they offer?

You could also contact the IET about the courses that they have to offer if you want to look way ahead, but as Ian has said certain courses will have a criteria that you have already completed a certain level of qualification for acceptance.

The Institution of Engineering and Technology - The IET

Some City & Guilds courses you could do in the mean time (which will cover several years) are as follows:

City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 Electrotechnical Technology
City & Guilds 2330 Level 3 Electrotechnical Technology
City & Guilds 2377 Level 3 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance
C&G 2377 Level 3 The Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
C&G 2382 Level 3 Certificate in The Requirements for Electrical Installations 17th Edition
C&G 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
C&G 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification

There are of course NVQ's but I would suspect that you will do those during your apprenticship?

Good Luck

Warren

You can take it as far as you want to......and yes you can do a degree. Why not ask where you are taking your current study to other course they offer?

You could also contact the IET about the courses that they have to offer if you want to look way ahead, but as Ian has said certain courses will have a criteria that you have already completed a certain level of qualification for acceptance.

The Institution of Engineering and Technology - The IET

Some City & Guilds courses you could do in the mean time (which will cover several years) are as follows:

City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 Electrotechnical Technology
City & Guilds 2330 Level 3 Electrotechnical Technology
City & Guilds 2377 Level 3 Management of Electrical Equipment Maintenance
C&G 2377 Level 3 The Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
C&G 2382 Level 3 Certificate in The Requirements for Electrical Installations 17th Edition
C&G 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations
C&G 2391 Level 3 Certificate in Design, Erection and Verification

There are of course NVQ's but I would suspect that you will do those during your apprenticship?

Good Luck

Warren

Thanks for the information mate :D I've got to do an nvq level 3 as part of my apprenticeship. I'll have a word with one of my tutors in college after christmas about possible courses i can do.

Thanks
Aaron :)

some colleges etc may allow you to start a HNC after your 2330 but you may find some will want you to start with an ONC and even if they allow you to skip that you will probably require some maths and science bridging modules.

You can continue after your 2330 doing HNC on day release, once you gain that you can then go on to HND either day release or a couple of evenings a week.

I believe also that you may be able to start a degree after your HNC with open university but im pretty sure its in engineering not specifically electrical.

I am currently finishing my HNC in mechatronics engineering, if you want any more information PM me i will help all i can

craig

you can do your 17th regs course at any time. I did mine when i was on my level 2330 L2 and my 2391 when i was doing my 2330 L3. But if you do it as well i would say get as much experence as you can because you will need it:eek:.

Reply to Looking to get some extra qualifications in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net