Discuss loop impedance, temperature, cable factor.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area to post this in, apologies if it isn't...

I've been working through some mock questions on-line, and found myself confused by this:

The measured value of loop impedance for a circuit is 0.83ohm.
If the temperature at the time of the test was 20C, and the cable is 70C (factor 1.2) what is the corrected value. Ze = 0.4ohm:
a) 0.43 ohm
b) 0.86 ohm
c) 0.996 ohm
d) 0.916 ohm

I just cant get my head around this!

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Basically the temperature correction won't apply to the part external to the installation but only to your cables within the installation. So apply your temperature correction to this part and then you have your adjusted value. (I don't want to just give you the answer.)

Hello
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum area to post this in, apologies if it isn't...

I've been working through some mock questions on-line, and found myself confused by this:

The measured value of loop impedance for a circuit is 0.83ohm.
If the temperature at the time of the test was 20C, and the cable is 70C (factor 1.2) what is the corrected value. Ze = 0.4ohm:
a) 0.43 ohm
b) 0.86 ohm
c) 0.996 ohm
d) 0.916 ohm

I just cant get my head around this!

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Apply the correction factor stated, to your 0.83 value

Apply the 1.2 to the R1+R2 value and add it to the Ze assuming R1+R2 is 0.43
Naughty little question

yeah, but by definition, the loop impedance of a circuit includes Ze.

The generally accepted method of correcting for temperature is to apply it to the whole of the Zs for the circuit, however this does not , as said above provide an accurate assessment as the external supply may not be running at 70°C.
In that case the separation of Ze and R1+R2 may be undertaken and the correction factor applied to the R1+R2 only and the uncorrected Ze applied.
In the case of the question the method of calculation is not clarified.
Also the correction is from ambient (20°C) to 70°C rather than the usual correction of the tabulated value down to 20°C.
Basically you can apply the 1.2 correction factor to the 0.83Ω and get 0.996Ω
or you can apply the correction factor just to the back calculated R1+R2 (which should not be done) of 0.43Ω and add it to the Ze of 0.4Ω and get 0.916Ω.

Because the question specifies Ze you might assume they mean the more accurate correction but since it requires an unapproved calculation it seems odd.

The generally accepted method of correcting for temperature is to apply it to the whole of the Zs for the circuit, however this does not , as said above provide an accurate assessment as the external supply may not be running at 70°C.
In that case the separation of Ze and R1+R2 may be undertaken and the correction factor applied to the R1+R2 only and the uncorrected Ze applied.
In the case of the question the method of calculation is not clarified.
Also the correction is from ambient (20°C) to 70°C rather than the usual correction of the tabulated value down to 20°C.
Basically you can apply the 1.2 correction factor to the 0.83Ω and get 0.996Ω
or you can apply the correction factor just to the back calculated R1+R2 (which should not be done) of 0.43Ω and add it to the Ze of 0.4Ω and get 0.916Ω.

Because the question specifies Ze you might assume they mean the more accurate correction but since it requires an unapproved calculation it seems odd.
that was my interpretation. correction factors are usually applied to the Zs value in BS7671 , not jusrt to the R1+R2 values.

by calcularting i the way the question implies, it would be possible to get a borderline value above the recommended value to below it.

that was my interpretation. correction factors are usually applied to the Zs value in BS7671 , not jusrt to the R1+R2 values.
My first approach was to do just that as this is normally fine and is the first thing you would do and would only apply further accuracy if the value was out of range, but because they specify Ze, which is usually immaterial, I do wonder what they are going for.
Especially since they give both possible answers.:(

Reply to loop impedance, temperature, cable factor.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net