Discuss Low voltage over several circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I extended a bedroom in my basement and had to move a couple outlets from the knocked down wall to the new wall.
After, I was sanding down the drywall mud and forgot to completely shut the door of the main panel (which is in the corner of the room).
Soon after, I went upstairs and noticed the clock on the stove/oven had been reset and the unit had lost and regained power. When I went to reset the time, the stove completely died along with several plugs in the kitchen (on a different circuit). The circuits then regained about 24V, but not a full 120V. After further inspection, I noticed this happened to other circuits in the house, and tripped a GFI breaker. I vacuumed out the panel, which had a bit of dust on it (but not a crazy amount) and things have been okay since with no low voltages. I've checked all the circuits that I moved and I get 120V between hot and neutral, 120V between hot and ground, and 0V between neutral and ground.

Could this possibly have been due to drywall dust getting in the panel and breakers?
Is it possible that I hit a wire while putting up drywall? I put the drywall up well over a week ago with no electrical issues whatsoever.
What could cause such a voltage drop over several circuits, none of which I touched?

I extended a bedroom in my basement and had to move a couple outlets from the knocked down wall to the new wall.
After, I was sanding down the drywall mud and forgot to completely shut the door of the main panel (which is in the corner of the room).
Soon after, I went upstairs and noticed the clock on the stove/oven had been reset and the unit had lost and regained power. When I went to reset the time, the stove completely died along with several plugs in the kitchen (on a different circuit). The circuits then regained about 24V, but not a full 120V. After further inspection, I noticed this happened to other circuits in the house, and tripped a GFI breaker. I vacuumed out the panel, which had a bit of dust on it (but not a crazy amount) and things have been okay since with no low voltages. I've checked all the circuits that I moved and I get 120V between hot and neutral, 120V between hot and ground, and 0V between neutral and ground.

Could this possibly have been due to drywall dust getting in the panel and breakers?
Is it possible that I hit a wire while putting up drywall? I put the drywall up well over a week ago with no electrical issues whatsoever.
What could cause such a voltage drop over several circuits, none of which I touched?
I can’t really tell you what happened because I wasn’t there but it sounds like when you took your neutrals apart to be relocated you had a neutral problem. I’m assuming everything else is fine now. That is strange since you didn’t mess with them other circuits so I would check in the panel and see if your main neutral is loose or corroded

Reply to Low voltage over several circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net