Discuss Main earth problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi my apprentice has a TT system which i have checked and is ok, however he came in the other day and told me something that im a bit concerned about.

The house next door is being refurbed and the guy that is carrying out the rewire knocked on the door and explained that the property had no earth and would he mind if he drilled through the wall and tap off of his MET.

My apprentice agreed to this, i said he was crazy and that he should have just told the guy to install an earth rod,

Im concerned that he is earthing off a tt system and may not know.

The question is how liable has my apprentice has made himself, even tho he said if anything goes wrong he will just say it was installed without his knowledge.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My opinion only. i wouldnt have let him connect to it. If anything comes of it he will be liable to some extent as a verbal agreement is a legal agreement. The installation next door cant be compliant as the MET is not visible and/ or accesible, and what was the sparky thinking or was he just lazy, and how will any other sparky gain access in the future if work needs doing.

i would tell your lad to tell the sparky to fit his own earth rod, or contact the DNO and find out if its on a PME network. But this is definitely a no no in my mind, regs or no regs, compliant or not.

Cheers............howard:(

Definate no no each installation should have its own means of earthing arrangement, Lots of legal implications, in the time it took to drill the hole he could put in an earth rod. -
Change it pronto

Thats an unusual request for the next door spark to make :confused:

I'm guessing he is using it for a temporary board
If he's got an rcd and your reading is, as yoiu say ok,there doesn't seem to be much that could go amiss,
having said that,if he has overcurrent only,he could end possibly cooking your cable with an earth fault

I would take a pair of cutters with me tomorrow and lob it off no hesitation

My opinion only. i wouldnt have let him connect to it. If anything comes of it he will be liable to some extent as a verbal agreement is a legal agreement. The installation next door cant be compliant as the MET is not visible and/ or accesible, and what was the sparky thinking or was he just lazy, and how will any other sparky gain access in the future if work needs doing.

i would tell your lad to tell the sparky to fit his own earth rod, or contact the DNO and find out if its on a PME network. But this is definitely a no no in my mind, regs or no regs, compliant or not.

Cheers............howard:(

Im totally in agreement but have nagged him all day, i really cant get my head around this as he has nothing to gain by helping the guy. And also what happens when someone comes around to install an additional socket and cant verify system ,

I just need something in writing to show him as he still thinks hes not causeing any harm , in fact hes actually helping to eath the house and make it safer..

next he will be asking if he can go back to back with your sockets ;)

I actually had that on a house that i tested , the socket in the frontroom was live after i turned off board. basically they had been robbing their neighbour for 50 years.

Apparntly we found out that when they wired the houses they had drilled through to supply temp socket so they had power to wire next house but no one ever ripped it out

Last edited:

Reply to Main earth problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock