Discuss Max Zs Permitted by BS7671 value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It wouldnt go wrong with the 100% value, the difference in disconnection time would be marginal or non-existant in real, not calcualted situations. Nobody will ever be prosecuted for using the maximum value of Zs clearly written in the regulations.

You really missed the point
If the installation following an incident was found to exceed the maximum allowed value then you would probably end up explaining to a person wearing a funny wig why

The EIC has a note for permitted values.
Where the maximum permitted earth fault loop impedance value stated in column 8 is taken from a source other than the tabulated values given in Chapter 41 of this Standard, state the source of the data in the appropriate cell for the circuit in the ‘Remarks’ column (column 25) of the schedule.

That note indicates you are expected to use the values from the various tables in Chapter 41.

Where the maximum permitted earth fault loop impedance value stated in column 8 is taken from a source other than the tabulated values given in Chapter 41 of this Standard, state the source of the data in the appropriate cell for the circuit in the ‘Remarks’ column (column 25) of the schedule.

That note indicates you are expected to use the values from the various tables in Chapter 41.
I think the OP is referring to standard protective devices in BS7671.

The test sheet asks for the maximum permitted value of Zs which is clearly the 80% value
No it’s not as the conductors are not at full load current or indeed at any current for initial verification and do bare in mind that we have to adjust the temperature again if called for.

Is that not for using the manufacturers data/Zs values for their ocpd rather than the generic values of bs7671?

this is what i was told on my 2391 course.

but it makes no sense to me as GN3 makes a big deal about correcting for temperature and then the IET forms appear to indicate that the cold measured value should be compared directly to the hot values from BS7671.

You really missed the point
If the installation following an incident was found to exceed the maximum allowed value then you would probably end up explaining to a person wearing a funny wig why
I don't miss the point at all, it is extremely unlikely that a value at or below the 100% mark but above the 80% would have any bearing whatsoever on an 'incident' sufficiently serious to go to court.
And given the almost universal use of RCD protection for final circuits now in many installations it's really a moot point as the permitted max Zs is likely to be 1667 ohms. Suddenly getting silly over a fraction of an ohm seems a bit superfluous.

esp. as bs7671 gives same values of PFC for both 0.4 secs and 5 secs. that can't be right.

Is that not for using the manufacturers data/Zs values for their ocpd rather than the generic values of bs7671?
Not sure what you mean?
The note is telling us that if we don’t use the values from the tables in chapter 41, then we need to record where we are getting the values from in the box for remarks.

So yes, if you are using values supplied by the manufacturer, make a note.
Also if you are recording the 80% value rather than the value required from the tables in chapter 41, make a note.

At the end of the day, the only use of these forms, is as a comparison with the form produced at the next inspection.

Reply to Max Zs Permitted by BS7671 value in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net