Discuss MCB Timer that fits Proteus type B din rail? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cl3mm

-
Reaction score
In my garage I have a Proteus mcb consumer unit. There is some garden lighting directly attached to a B20 single pole. No switch ! have to walk 100ft in the dark , open the garage and flick on the MCB to get the lights on. Such a bizarre installation. The cable runs under concrete , no chance of a switch installation with out a lot of headache. I'm thinking timer is the easiest solution , but can I find anything that will fit? That is a direct fit timer in the consumer unit. I could , at a push ,wire up a timer switch next to the cabinet , but would prefer not to unless the only option. Image shows exact fitting.
Thanks

MCB Timer that fits Proteus type B din rail? PROTEUS_GEYER_610B - EletriciansForums.net

In my garage I have a Proteus mcb consumer unit. There is some garden lighting directly attached to a B20 single pole. No switch ! have to walk 100ft in the dark , open the garage and flick on the MCB to get the lights on. Such a bizarre installation. The cable runs under concrete , no chance of a switch installation with out a lot of headache. I'm thinking timer is the easiest solution , but can I find anything that will fit? That is a direct fit timer in the consumer unit. I could , at a push ,wire up a timer switch next to the cabinet , but would prefer not to unless the only option. Image shows exact fitting.
Thanks

View attachment 39013
What sort of cable has been used in the lighting installation? how much of the cable is accessible?

You can get Din rail timers, either in single or double size module. You might have to cut the busbar the mcbs bolt onto, so I would fit it at the last point from the main switch. The 20amp mcb should be downsized to a 6 or 10 amp for lighting.
If in any doubt, get an electrician to have a look first, particularly as the work involves working inside the garage CU and possibly making alterations within.

Proteus is CEF's own brand so no doubt they make a timer that would fit, if you can bear to buy anything from them. Presumably you have enough space to fit a timer in the CU.
Alternatively could you fit a wireless receiver inside or near the cu and have a wireless switch in the house (if the range is good enough).

The problem with timers is that you have to spend your time adjusting the times ....

A dusk to dawn sensor?
A dusk to later sensor?

Reply to MCB Timer that fits Proteus type B din rail? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock