Discuss Measuring 3 phase usage with a clamp meter? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning,

I have a 3 phase supply into my workshop Hager dist board. I need to measure my usage for business accounts.
My Electrician mentioned clamping around the swa cable with a ct clamp would be a simple metering option, but I'm not sure if I understood him correctly.
Is this possible, or do I need him to fit a hard wired meter.
If anyone has a solution for the uk please reply.

Thanks

Greg.

Depending on what Hager DB you have, Hager does a meter that fits alongside the Main Incomer. Probably expensive. I can't see a clamp or C T's working around a shielded SWA cable. You can put a CT around each phase coupled to a remote meter.

What size supply is coming in to the DB? This may determine whether installing a whole current meter or a CT meter would be cheaper

Whats wrong with your bill to monitor energy prices? Maybe your supplier can fit a monitor for you?

Good morning,

I have a 3 phase supply into my workshop Hager dist board. I need to measure my usage for business accounts.
My Electrician mentioned clamping around the swa cable with a ct clamp would be a simple metering option, but I'm not sure if I understood him correctly.
Is this possible, or do I need him to fit a hard wired meter.
If anyone has a solution for the uk please reply.

Thanks

Greg.
Wont work due to the steel armouring on the SWA watt meter use CTs around the single cores in the DB in conjunction with a suitable wattmeter

Thankyou for all your replies.

Hager do one that will fit in their distribution board but it is over £430.00+vat.
I found this at CEF - 3 Phase Multifunction Energy Meter MID Certified with Pulse and Modbus - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/5031071-three-phase-multifunction-energy-meter-mid-certified-with-pulse-and-modbus for £135.00+vat.
I'll check the depth available in the board to see if it will fit.

That is just the meter and won't include the current transformers, fuses/circuit breaker to supply it or any interconnecting cables etc which would all be included in the Hager meter pack.

Plus you shouldn't be fitting anything which hasn't been approved by the manufacturer of the DB in the DB.

The Rayleigh meters are good, but as mentioned above you need the matching CT and some supply fuses as well as some enclosure somewhere they can be fitted. They still work out good value though.

The Hager meter is the supplier approved option, so the obvious choice. But they, for some dumb-Muppet reasons, supplied the one I got with glass 20x5mm LRC fuses, not even the ceramic HRC (that are 1.5kA breaking, so a touch under my PSCC). I put in some 38x10mm fuses that were 120kA or similar break capacity as using the same elsewhere, but at the very least I would say check and fit HRC fuses instead.

Reply to Measuring 3 phase usage with a clamp meter? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock