Discuss Measuring earth leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

davesparks

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is it possible to measure earth leakage with standard CTs and display it on a panel meter?

I want to do this for a distribution box for temporary event supplies as I don't find the little bar graph display on earth leakage relays all that useful.

Would one large CT around all four conductors work/be accurate? Or is it possible to connect a CT around each conductor in parallel?

A single CT around all conductors would give the imbalance current, but I'm not aware of any panel gauges that could work on such a low current value.

I did manage to find THIS earth leakage relay with a digital display, perhaps that would suit better? It's Australian but an equivalent device surely exists to UK standards.

I should be able to make a panel meter work that low without too much hassle, and I can just use an analogue milliammeter if necessary, it's getting the reliable signal that I'm stuck on.

My initial thought was to use a core balance CT as used for earth leakage relays but I cannot find any information on what their actual output is. I might have to get one and do some measuring to see what it does

Yes there are a few earth leakage relays like that available, but have you seen the price!

Separate CTs around the conductors with their secondary currents summed algebraically would theoretically produce the difference figure, but because you are looking for a small difference between large numbers it would require transformers with an order of magnitude greater accuracy than running all cores through one transformer. E.g. a single transformer accurate to 1% with all cores through, will read 1mA leakage in 100A load accurate to 1% of 1mA which is fine. But with separate transformers (say two transformers on a SP circuit) each of which is handling the full load, it would read 1mA in 100A accurate to 2% of 100A, i.e. a possible error of 2000% due to differences in flux leakage, B-H curve, secondary resistance etc between the two. In practice many of the errors would probably cancel but calibration could be tricky.

Much easier to use a single transformer with as low a ratio as possible, with the four conductors nicely positioned in the window so that the flux linkage from each to the core is sensibly equal; run it into a suitable shunt and put a millivoltmeter across it. If the transformer is rated for the full load without saturating, it will be able to transform a considerable amount of power to the secondary under heavy earth fault conditions, worth making sure the shunt will withstand that without opening up and destroying the meter. Power dissipation aside, you can use a fairly high value of secondary resistance compared to a normal CT measuring circuit, as it won't impose a voltage burden on the primary side under normal working conditions. as it would when measuring an unbalanced current.

Last edited:
Flippy heck, have to say I'm impressed. Think Dr Brown had issues when designing his flux capacitor for his DeLorean, which he conceived when banging his head accidentally on the bathroom sink. The power supply was eventually provided by the development of Mr Fusion. :smiley2:

Schneider do the kit your looking for Core Balanced CT & a monitoring relay with the leakage current displayed. The ones I,m talking about are on a switchboard using their Compact NSX Switchgear, though I think it can be used with other gear. I'm in at work tomorrow I'll see if I can get some part numbers.

You're going to pay a small fortune for a real time leakage monitor with a display. Maybe go with 3 of these, one for each phase, at the price you could probably afford to or you could use just one around all three phases and neutral for less granular reporting and for trial purposes before you go the whole hog with 3 of them. I have one in my tool case I use daily and whilst it's not marketed as an earth leakage clamp it works well and is pretty accurate down to a few miliamps. It's also rated CAT IV, has a good sample rate and the flexible rogowski clamps are a bonus. Only problem in your application is there's no alarm contact or external control so it would just be for visual, real-time monitoring.

Last edited:
Schneider do the kit your looking for Core Balanced CT & a monitoring relay with the leakage current displayed. The ones I,m talking about are on a switchboard using their Compact NSX Switchgear, though I think it can be used with other gear. I'm in at work tomorrow I'll see if I can get some part numbers.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

I'm putting an NSX mccb in for the main switch anyway, so it wouldn't be much of an adjustment to add it on

Yes I saw the price, I'm working on the assumption that you wouldn't be junking your distro after each event. A larger one-time cost for greater convenience down the road.

Oh yes it will be doing service for many many years.

But so far I've got the parts to build the whole thing for around £500, so I can't really justify spending much on a luxury addition

Reply to Measuring earth leakage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net