Discuss Melted plug pins - slight brown mark on socket! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning, I am a complete electrical novice - recently bought a Dyson AM09 Hot + Cool Fan Heater, I live in a rented stone cottage half-way up a mountain & my aga broke down, ill-health & cold led me to the Dyson, however just unplugged it & one of the plug pins has melted plastic(?) at the base of one of the pins. I can plug it in but not right down. Can I change a Dyson plug, but would that invalidate guarantee - surely they won't take it back? & why the melted pin? Help!

Ludmilla

Good morning, I am a complete electrical novice - recently bought a Dyson AM09 Hot + Cool Fan Heater, I live in a rented stone cottage half-way up a mountain & my aga broke down, ill-health & cold led me to the Dyson, however just unplugged it & one of the plug pins has melted plastic(?) at the base of one of the pins. I can plug it in but not right down. Can I change a Dyson plug, but would that invalidate guarantee - surely they won't take it back? & why the melted pin? Help!

Ludmilla
Where did you buy the heater?

If the Dyson is under guarantee take it back, leaving the plug on!
In truth, it may be a bad contact on the wall socket, so get your landlord to have that checked ( and don't use it meantime).

Damaged sockets are a problem. What sometimes happens is a worn socket causes heat damage to any plugs of items that are plugged into it. These plugs in turn can cause similar damage to other sockets and the problem escalates. Any sockets the heater has been plugged into should be replaced and obviously the plug on the heater needs replacing also. Fitting a new plug shouldn't invalidate any warranties if it's done by a competant person.

This problem was most likely caused by a poor contact between the Dyson plug and the electrical outlet, this causes extra heat, which deforms the plastic. you should contact your land lord and ask that the outlet be replaced, also the plug on your Dyson should also be replaced, you could ask Dyson nicely, but if it was caused by your outlet, then they are not oblidged to replace it, doesn't mean they will say no, if you ask nicely, they may be willing to help.

FROM MY EXPERIEMCE OF DYSON'S THAT WOULD BE A NON-STARTER. I ONCE PHONED DYSON'S REQUESTING A PAIR OF CARBON BRUSHES. THE RESPONSE WAS WE DON'T SUPPLY BRUSHES. WE CAN SUPPLY A REPLACEMENT MOTOR. £90 + VAT. BRUSHES LATER OBTAINED FRON EBAY FOR £2.50. sorry for the caps.

Trouble with Dyson and the like, if you buy the brushes first you are more likely to damage the thing getting into it! Still work the try though at £2.50 or so.

Go for the Numatic version rather than the Henry, similar unit, but with big back wheels so it doesn't fall over like the Henry does! I see most of the new models are half the power of the old versions though, thanks to more EU meddling.

Reply to Melted plug pins - slight brown mark on socket! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net