Discuss Menvier MF400 ,.fire but nothing obvious ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi

It's a panel I fitted myself circa 20yrs ago on a private rented property

Fire condition on zone 1 , 3 zones in use

No indicators lit on heads or breakglass broken

Would it be a faulty head or more likely a panel fault , troubleshooting ideas before I go back tomorrow

I'll stick an eol on the zone at panel first obviously

Thanks

I'll be recommending he gets panel and heads changed anyway by an alarm co.Needs a few upgrades as well

I presume they're all out of date by now

Manufactures state max 10years for field devices
I'm reading the manual, so I remember they have fault indication for open-short and head removal on detection zones

How do you actually remove a head to bypass it on the detection zone without fault indication staying on

Is there a little clip or something , I've forgotten

All you could do there is disconnect from base and terminate cables together until replacement detector can be fitted, you won’t be able to isolate just that device any other way

All you could do there is disconnect from base and terminate cables together until replacement detector can be fitted, you won’t be able to isolate just that device any other way
Good I'll do that so if I suspect a head, and mark in and out

Have a feeling they don't give that kind of trouble

I know from experience the menvier panels can be temperamental

Agree they can be a bit suspect, you can fit Apollo s65 detectors to them but you will need to separate the cables in the base across the diode for the fault removal to work

What happened was the tenant arrived and turned on the porch light switch beside the exit breakglass and they said alarm activated immediately

So after a bit of looking round I opened up BG and tightened and reassembled

Alarm condition cleared for 10 minutes and I left

They rang me back an d said alarm went off again when they were leaving and turned off at the same light switch

Now maybe there's a clue in all that

Hmmm ,?

There's a little religious thing mounted above the breakglass

Do you know what ,its possible its nailed in through the wiring.Only just thought of it as I went through the symptoms

Maybe but I would expect the fault to be there permanently if it was damaged cores, could be that it is disturbing it as the go out/past, would like to know what you find after you have been back

Maybe but I would expect the fault to be there permanently if it was damaged cores, could be that it is disturbing it as the go out/past, would like to know what you find after you have been back
Another thing I've forgotten

I see if you remove a head a contact and diode come into circuit for fault indication

I remember when I was waiting them I used to IR test all the zones with the bases fitted ?

How doe this work without damaging the diodes , I can't remember ?

And can you IR test with the BG units in circuit ?

Thanks again

Could be I used to have one leg off at the bases alarms and breakglass

That would seem the most likely for IR testing

Wired loads of them but literally can't remember now

Tried the eol at the panel - no good

Tried the eol halfway on the detection zone - no good

Bypassed the BG at the door -alarms off so problem solved

What what exactly is the mechanism of operation of the BG.I opened it and it has to be a magnet that moves up and down making the circuit ?

There's nothing on the front sections mechanically or electrically connected to the back piece

Break glass has a rotary movement which moves the glass, at the top of where the glass sits there will be a micro switch which is held in position in its normal state and released on alarm

Break glass has a rotary movement which moves the glass, at the top of where the glass sits there will be a micro switch which is held in position in its normal state and released on alarm
Seemed to me.loke a wireless connection between front and back when I opened it , dunno maybe I'm mistaken

Thanks for the assistance

Reply to Menvier MF400 ,.fire but nothing obvious ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock