Discuss Meter fixed to metal cabinet door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked to do a partial rewire of a 1960s maisonette. The CU and meter are housed together in a metal cabinet. The CU is attached at the back but the meter is attached to the door rather than the back. The existing cables have exposed copper where they enter the meter, probably from repeated opening of the door to read the meter and access the CU. I've asked the client to get in touch with the supplier about the exposed copper and dangers of having the meter on the door and have said I am not happy to do the work before this is sorted. Unfortunately I haven't got any pictures, but from my description, has anyone come across this sort of setup before?

Its it a private meter or DNO ... I cannot see how any DNO meter installer would ever fit it to a door, a dodgy sparky fitting a private meter ..it wouldn't surprise me or are we talking a panel mount meter here which is cut into the door?

As above, definitely not ideal, get customer to contact DNO and request the meter relocated somewhere safer.

Surely they wouldn't have this arrangement with the CU behind it.....or would they??

To my experience, no DNO meter installer would fit a standard meter to a meter cupboard door, that's why I ask the questions... something doesn't sound right here or there's confusion somewhere.

Are we talking a standard issue meter cupbaord?
Are we sure this isn't a private meter

Standard housing for meters are generally reserved for meter equipment only with possible a compact sw/f along side, if the meter installer arrived to find a CU in their he would refuse to fit it.... so either the dodgy sparky broke the seals to move it onto the door so he could get his CU in or we don't have all the info.

I would not normally post this up but.... Cut the seal, pull the bullet, test for dead and cover up the exposed copper before someone gets a belt! Common sense has to supersede the Regs on some occasions.

As above, more info or a pic is required.

I would not normally post this up but.... Cut the seal, pull the bullet, test for dead and cover up the exposed copper before someone gets a belt! Common sense has to supersede the Regs on some occasions.

As above, more info or a pic is required.
it depends paul, he still needs to report it or he could get accused of bypassing the meter

I have worked on one job which sounds similar. The metal meter cab was inside the building with a small hinged cupboard with the meter on the reverse side so it could be read from outside. Think the hinged door should be sealed though to stop it moving. Probably best getting the metering people to move it if it can't be read from the reverse side

it depends paul, he still needs to report it or he could get accused of bypassing the meter

It has already been reported as per the OP's statement.

In the mean time make the bloody thing safe before someone gets killed! I would have no issue going face to face with the regional DNO Manager (yet again) and telling them what I did for safety's sake.

Bypassing the meter will be the last thing on his mind.

Thanks for the responses. If by private meter Darkwood you mean one where the supply is maintained by a BNO, I'm not certain but I think it's unlikely. The maisonette is part of a block of what were (and many probably still are) council flats. The meter is analogue and I would guess the CU was installed under 16th Edition and perhaps pre part P (single RCD, modern MCBs for all circuits, one lighting circuit covering both floors) or maybe a dodgy spark. The cabinet is about 600mm tall and is similar in construction to this one, albeit with a metal level to open it. The meter is attached to the bottom of the door and can only be read with the door open. The CU is at the top of the cabinet.

Paul M, unfortunately I'm 200 miles from the property until Monday so pulling the fuse isn't even a hypothetical option until then and in the meantime I'm hoping the supplier will take it seriously and get someone out. The flat is not currently being lived in (it is being refurbished) and I've advised the client of the danger and he's in the process of trying to get a response from his supplier (and I've suggested I am happy to talk to them on his behalf if they'll let me and don't pull the "we'll only talk to the householder" nonsense). I'm not happy about it but I don't think there is a lot more I can do at the moment.

Private meter just means a meter owned by yourself or a landlord say where he may have one DNO metered supply but has split the metering himself into flats etc ...The DNO meter (energy supplier meter) is the one directly off the incoming supply cable after the cutout(fuseblock) usually.

Reply to Meter fixed to metal cabinet door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net