Search the forum,

Discuss Meter move and consequences in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dgrs

Dear All,

I have completed the OLCI Domestic Electrical Installers course so have some knowledge but very little practical experience. I have not yet applied to join a competent persons scheme but the below could be suitable I think.

I would like to have my meter moved but a friend of mine relayed his experience of this. He had a DB from the early 90s which had no RCD protection on it and as it wasn't fully compliant the workmen who came out to move the meter weren't prepared to do the work until the DB had been updated.

How this affects me is the new meter position means that I will have to move the DB and the cables for each of the circuits will be a few meters short. I'm wondering, would it be compliant for me to design a DB for my system, mount it in its new place, actually connect wires but these would be blanks i.e. not connected to anything but fixed in their final positions. Then, when I have confirmation of the man coming out to move the meter, having labelled and located where I want to T into the old circuits, I would simply connect the old circuits to the new circuits. For speed and ease, I am planning on using wago connectors and Line in enclosures so this part of the job would be very quick indeed.

I welcome comments on any of the above. The existing wiring in my house is of the correct csa and looks less than 10 years old so I am happy with its integrity although I would of course run the necessary tests to check this is the case.

Thanks in advance,

Dgrs

Why not do the job properly from the outset.

Fit the new board and an isolator with longish tails connected in to Henly blocks along side the old board. You cant then transfer the individual circuits over to the new board at your leisure.

How you extend the cables is up to you. Personally crimps and heat shrink would now be my choice (to the surprise of a lot of members of this board. I was dead set against them until a short while ago).

As to moving the meter brace yourself for a financial shock.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused by what you say. Could you explain what is 'not doing the job properly from the outset' - I was trying to think of a way of doing it without being disconnected for a long time.

When you say 'you cant then transfer the individual circuits over to the new board at your leisure' - do you mean you CAN?

It seems you're suggesting getting power to the new DB then adding one circuit at a time. My solution was to fit the DB then connect all the different circuits in one go. Aren't there just different approaches as oppose to one being 'correct' and one not done properly?

I don't have experience with crimps and heat shrink but will look into this. Could you clarify wago connectors and line in connectors would be compliant?

I know how much it is eeeek

Your original question is both verbose and incoherent. Yes I made a spelling mistake.

Back to the original problem, if you mount a new board in it’s new location you can then transfer individual circuits from the old board to the new. I’m just trying to give you a practical and pragmatic way to approach the task.

As to crimped joints, if you don’t know how to do them I would suggest you look in the forum search engine. Otherwise get a qualified electrician to do the work for you.

At the end of the day it’s you’re decision as to how you organise the work.

Thanks for your thoughts. I apologise for my verbosity and incoherence - I will try my utmost to explain with greater clarity in the future.

That's me told....

a possible alternative would be to fit the new CU with tails as tony suggested to reach the new meter position terminated in henleyt blocks. leasve all the house wiring in the old board. then they will come out and see a new CU. the fact that nothing goes out is not their concern. once the meter has been moved and the new CU powered up, yo can then get on with transferring the circuits. IMO, the best way to extend your cables is by means of an adaptable box with din rail connectors.

Why not do the job properly from the outset.

How you extend the cables is up to you. Personally crimps and heat shrink would now be my choice (to the surprise of a lot of members of this board. I was dead set against them until a short while ago).

Why the change of heart?

The use of Wagos may not be viable because of the installation method, but as you haven't specified its difficult to advise. Personally I'd crimp and heat shrink. Hard work when you are doing a CU change with so many circuits and conductors!

DNO will probably charge a lot for moving the meter(s). Be prepared they won't drill holes, might want a fire board fitting etc - varies between the DNO's. They expect all the prep work doing.

Last customer I worked for that wanted the meters moving so day one we did all the prep and day 2 the DNO moved the meters whilst I installed the 2 consumer units. The best bit was that because the DNO messed the customer about regarding the date for fitting they did the work FOC :)

Also don't forget that if you are in England or Wales then you are responsible for Part P notification - unless you want to ignore the rules?

Reply to Meter move and consequences in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net