Discuss 3 phase meter problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I built a house with ground source heating 5 years ago and it's a fairly large house so I have 3 phase supply 80 amps per phase. I had a regular meter it was a Elster A1140. I read this every month on the 1st and logged the readings so I have a good idea of my usage patterns. Ground source is pretty power hungry in the colder months.

As I have an EV I decided to move to a smart meter to be able to use a cheaper overnight tariff. The new meter is a EDMI ES-30B. It was installed on the 1st of November this year and the readings are much higher than my old meter.

For example in November 2022 I used 1942kwh. According to the new meter in November 2023 I used 9731kwh – nothing has changed at home in this period and the reading in October 23 was normal.

I have sent this info to EON my supplier and they are “looking at it” but I wondered if anyone could come up with what they the issue could be, could the person installing the meter someone installed the cables incorrectly or could it just be a faulty meter.

I have ordered a 3 phase clamp meter to try and verify the readings.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Having a clamp meter to confirm you usage really is the only way to settle it.

9731kWh is a lot, for 24 hours / day and 30 days that is an average of 13.5kW, possible but really high!

It is also possible, though rare, to have a fault to earth that takes a lot of power, but not enough to trip the protection (assuming no or broken RCD protection). You can check for that by switching off every circuit at your CU (consumer unit = fuse box) and observing your power meter - does it stop incrementing with all off? As you close each circuit in time, do you see a believable increase in power used?

Hi there,

I built a house with ground source heating 5 years ago and it's a fairly large house so I have 3 phase supply 80 amps per phase. I had a regular meter it was a Elster A1140. I read this every month on the 1st and logged the readings so I have a good idea of my usage patterns. Ground source is pretty power hungry in the colder months.

As I have an EV I decided to move to a smart meter to be able to use a cheaper overnight tariff. The new meter is a EDMI ES-30B. It was installed on the 1st of November this year and the readings are much higher than my old meter.

For example in November 2022 I used 1942kwh. According to the new meter in November 2023 I used 9731kwh – nothing has changed at home in this period and the reading in October 23 was normal.

I have sent this info to EON my supplier and they are “looking at it” but I wondered if anyone could come up with what they the issue could be, could the person installing the meter someone installed the cables incorrectly or could it just be a faulty meter.

I have ordered a 3 phase clamp meter to try and verify the readings.

Many thanks,

Jonathan
HI Jonathan,
I hope you don't mind this direct message.

I am interested in your post as I too have a 3 phase supply currently working with a ELSTER A1140 meter.
EON Next are ( of course) wanting to change meter to a smart one saying the meter installed in 2015 is at end of useful like.

The meter i have installed gives E10 hours for off peak supply and powers old night store electric boiler and the rest of the house during these times.
I have been trying to quiz EON Next regarding what type of meter would be installed and whether it would give the same functionality as the ELSTER meter ( 10 hours and switching boiler / immersion heaters on during off peak times) and also having an IHD. All to no avail.
They just want me to book an appointment and cannot say what would be installed.
I have also had no positive feedback from the EON Next community hub of anyone having a successful experience with changing from ELSTER A1140 3 phase meter to a smart meter and keeping E10 hours.

I am guessing now but I assume the EON Next installer would want to fit the same meter you have EDMI ES-30B so I am really interested to learn whether you have resolved the issues with EON Next and all is working well with your readings and IHD.

I will probably post a separate question on this forum asking whether the EDMI ES - 30B would be a direct replacement to the ELSTER A1140 with the same functionality and ask how off peak hours are set.

Thanks
Peter

HI Jonathan,
I hope you don't mind this direct message.

I am interested in your post as I too have a 3 phase supply currently working with a ELSTER A1140 meter.
EON Next are ( of course) wanting to change meter to a smart one saying the meter installed in 2015 is at end of useful like.

The meter i have installed gives E10 hours for off peak supply and powers old night store electric boiler and the rest of the house during these times.
I have been trying to quiz EON Next regarding what type of meter would be installed and whether it would give the same functionality as the ELSTER meter ( 10 hours and switching boiler / immersion heaters on during off peak times) and also having an IHD. All to no avail.
They just want me to book an appointment and cannot say what would be installed.
I have also had no positive feedback from the EON Next community hub of anyone having a successful experience with changing from ELSTER A1140 3 phase meter to a smart meter and keeping E10 hours.

I am guessing now but I assume the EON Next installer would want to fit the same meter you have EDMI ES-30B so I am really interested to learn whether you have resolved the issues with EON Next and all is working well with your readings and IHD.

I will probably post a separate question on this forum asking whether the EDMI ES - 30B would be a direct replacement to the ELSTER A1140 with the same functionality and ask how off peak hours are set.

Thanks
Peter

Hi Peter,

My issue is ongoing with EON but I think if you changed it would be the end of your E10 tariff so I would stick with what you have. I looked at EON's drive tariff but the day rate is not great so once I am sorted out I may move to Octopus and will go onto Intelligent Octopus Go. Honestly wish I had never started the process, I’m sure a meter from 2015 is just fine!

Jonathan

Hi Peter,

My issue is ongoing with EON but I think if you changed it would be the end of your E10 tariff so I would stick with what you have. I looked at EON's drive tariff but the day rate is not great so once I am sorted out I may move to Octopus and will go onto Intelligent Octopus Go. Honestly wish I had never started the process, I’m sure a meter from 2015 is just fine!

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan for the information. I am definitely leaning towards not changing to a smart meter at the moment, too much at risk. Octopus looks good, in the long term when we update the house a time of use tariff and smart controls will be the way forward.
I hope you manage to get sorted out.
Peter

Reply to 3 phase meter problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net