Discuss Meter Tails : Do i have a potential issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

clanky

-
Reaction score
Hello again,
Was looking at installing yet another dedicated consumer box for my EV charger off the henley blocks and i noticed that a meter, which was installed a couple of years ago (outbuildings on the second phase of a split phase supply) has been wired with 16mm tails but with a 100a isolater switch post meter. Should these have been 25mm? The installer (plumber who'd been on a meter course apparently) had no idea what i was going to install downline of this meter so shouldnt have he erred on the safe side?

No, the 100A refers to the maximum rating of the switch. Assuming some normalcy here, 16mm tails are rated to 99A so I'd suspect you probably have an 80A incoming fuse.

100A isolator or cutout doesn’t mean anything except it is rated at 100A maximum. Fuse could be 60a or 80a. If so, tails are fine.

Just checked and the main fuse is 100A...one in the middle.

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 48
Hello again,
Was looking at installing yet another dedicated consumer box for my EV charger off the henley blocks and i noticed that a meter, which was installed a couple of years ago (outbuildings on the second phase of a split phase supply) has been wired with 16mm tails but with a 100a isolater switch post meter. Should these have been 25mm? The installer (plumber who'd been on a meter course apparently) had no idea what i was going to install downline of this meter so shouldnt have he erred on the safe side?
Are the tails running or proposing to run through the fabric of the building ?

I’d be more worried about the fact that we have plumbers telling people they’ve been on a meter course and tamper with mains electricity
Apparantly it was a 'thing' with the rollout of smart meters. If you were corgi registered then the suppliers would train you up for electric meters so you could do both in one visit.

Apparantly it was a 'thing' with the rollout of smart meters. If you were corgi registered then the suppliers would train you up for electric meters so you could do both in one visit.
Never heard of it

Asking plumbers to do mains electricity sounds like a recipe for disaster. Whoever thought of that idea needs to be sacked. We as electricians aren’t even allowed to touch the meter

Never heard of it

Asking plumbers to do mains electricity sounds like a recipe for disaster. Whoever thought of that idea needs to be sacked. We as electricians aren’t even allowed to touch the meter
This was 5 years ago so maybe things have changed since then. But whatever, nothing surprises me anymore. I lost a job once to a brazilian who'd done a 2 month 'mechatronics' course, I had 15years experience and a degree. Money talks.

Reply to Meter Tails : Do i have a potential issue? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net