Discuss Metrel 3152 Aborting Zs Test because of noise? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new Metrel 3152 which appears to be having issues doing a Zs test.

I have tried the meter at three sites domestic, one of which is home and each time the test aborts with the "Electrical Noise" icon showing. Metrel want the unit back to look at, however I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar issue and I I've made the wrong choice of tester.

The issue seems to happen wether the installation is completely isolated (except the circuit being tested) and if other circuits are on.

I have used the Harmonics feature to look for them and nothing much shows up.

Cheers

Tim

Its what you might expect when living near an industrial estate. Lots of harmonics.
I'm surprised that there isn't a 'clean-up' function within the instrument to leave an adjusted sinewave signal as the measured result.
I think that sending it back to Metrel is a good idea. They then will provide a certificate of compliance to its standard of operation/performance.
You can then proceed with an evaluation.

Happens with my kewtech kt64dl sometimes. usually if anything with a motor is running in the property such as fans, washing machines etc and as said above happens a lot when testing in a local industrial estate with lots of close by small units with loads of machines on the go. some testers are better at filtering this than others.

I was testing recently when there were thunderstorms in the area. trying to do a zs on the kitchen ring was a nightmare every rumble would send the resutls out and display noise!

Is this affecting just the anti-trip test or does it affect the normal test too?

It's unusual for noise to affect a normal test so you could use that setting and the alternative Zs test method to carry out the test.

Reply to Metrel 3152 Aborting Zs Test because of noise? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net