Discuss Middle light of three in a fitting keeps burning out immediately in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a light fitting with 3 lights on it in a row. The middle one burnt out right away when I connected it.

Then I started another thread prior to this one which solved some wiring questions. It's now all connected ok. When I replaced the middle light after all of this was done and I thought it was all working well, the middle light I replaced again burnt out immediately on turning it on.

What could the problem be? Would pictures be helpful?

This is the other thread (all solved there):

This is the light fitting:

Thank you!

As above, has the middle bulb actually "burnt out"?
Have you tried the "burnt out" bulb in one of the other lamp holders?

I just swapped out one of the middle ones for one of the end ones.

The bulb I thought was "burnt out" worked in the end socket. The "good" bulb didn't turn on in the middle socket.

So, the bulbs aren't burning out after all! I thought they were as one or two had turned on for a split second before turning off.

Is the fitting itself just not working and needing to be replaced? How would I go about fixing the fitting itself?

I have a voltmeter and I'm not afraid to use it!

Take a look up into the holder and see can you see any issue

Sometimes the contacts on screw in are not making

Dunno how worthwhile checking voltage is really if its not working

It sounds like a bad joint in the internal cabling, or maybe a defective light socket. Safest and easiest option it to take the lamp down before you try anything on it. As @Mikegh says it can often be visible as to what it wrong when you can get a good look at it.

Get some flex and a plug with a 3A fuse so you can test it before putting it back up if you do thing you have found the fault. Of course be very careful to unplug it before touching ANYTHING.

Take a look up into the holder and see can you see any issue

Sometimes the contacts on screw in are not making

Dunno how worthwhile checking voltage is really if its not working

The broken one looked exactly like the one next to it in every way. I couldn't spot a difference.

It sounds like a bad joint in the internal cabling, or maybe a defective light socket. Safest and easiest option it to take the lamp down before you try anything on it. As @Mikegh says it can often be visible as to what it wrong when you can get a good look at it.

Get some flex and a plug with a 3A fuse so you can test it before putting it back up if you do thing you have found the fault. Of course be very careful to unplug it before touching ANYTHING.

Hmm. Ok.

A new light fitting was sent out by the manufacturer. It has been installed and is working correctly now.

A small explosion did happen when I turned the power back on. But it happened in the other room and I don't know what it was so it's ok.

Job's a gooder!

Reply to Middle light of three in a fitting keeps burning out immediately in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock