Discuss Milenco Van Security Dead Bolts. Cheaper than ArmaDlock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
What are you guys using a additional physical security on on your vans? Assuming no-one is foolish enough to be relying on the OEM door lock and immobilisers. Being freshly minted, that is fleeced by various insurance and CPS bodies, I chose the DIY option and bought three Milenco Door Bolts off fleabay. Not as good as the ArmaDlocks used by BG but one third of the price.

Provide you bin the joke self tapping screws and make with a health selection of M5 bolts and penny washers they are OK on a very flat surface of a van. Anything with a curve (most vans ironically) will jam them but hopefully they'll keep the scum at bay.

Milenco Van Security Dead Bolts. Cheaper than ArmaDlock Milenco0 - EletriciansForums.net

When I had a Van, I replaced the standard locks for ones with round keys.
I installed Stainless steel plates to cover the locks and prevent them from being ripped out.
I removed the door lock/unlock pins so no one could smash a side window and unlock the doors.
I separated the passenger compartment from the load space using wire mesh.
I put wire mesh over the inside of the rear window, along with silver film to prevent anyone looking in.
I put a couple of barrel locks in the rear door.

Big locks scream "hey, I've got tools, come get 'em!"

Na, I never bothered with them. If someone wants to get into my van, they will, no poxy lock is going to stop them.

No insurance company will cover tools anyway if you read the small print. Basically, they're covered in a van while you're at work and that's it, unless you're lucky enough to be able to store your van in a garage at night.

I always took my tools in of an evening.

Big locks scream "hey, I've got tools, come get 'em!"

Na, I never bothered with them. If someone wants to get into my van, they will, no poxy lock is going to stop them.

No insurance company will cover tools anyway if you read the small print. Basically, they're covered in a van while you're at work and that's it, unless you're lucky enough to be able to store your van in a garage at night.

I always took my tools in of an evening.
And with the insurance, you don't get what you insure them for you only get paid for what they are worth at the time of being stolen.

Thanks Guys,
I also remove all the power tools at night and sleep with the Megger under my pillow ;) but the van is often out of site during the day.
I'll check the tool insurance issue mentioned as I've just added it to my PLI.

Not sure about the "low key is the best key " approach; it's a personal preference. Statistics I've seen show that secured and sign written versus un-secured and plain vans get done at about the same rate in the UK. I'll see if I can post the stat's here. Ther is also a very good group on Facebook called VATA - Van and Tool Theft Awareness. They are lobbying MP's to update the law which currently ignores tool theft as "car crime" and is effectively punishment free.

Also No matter what locks you put on they will just peel the side door away from the top, it seems to be the new way now.

Also No matter what locks you put on they will just peel the side door away from the top, it seems to be the new way now.
Nothing is impenetrable but I've fitted the Milencos on the top edge with a couple of "rubber strap" style bonnet catches on the inside top.

so fit the deadlock closer to the top of the door. :D:D:D.

so fit the deadlock closer to the top of the door. :D:D:D.
Then they just go for the back doors Tel, my mates got done and it looked like they used a can opener, a big star shape just bent outwards, they will go to any lengths now.

my back door is a tailgate. 2 bolts on the inside for overnight security.however, the van is parked only 20 ft from our bedroom window.

OK, Prompted by the comments above, I just spoke to my PLI & Tool Cover Insurance. Not trying to teach the experienced hands but this might be worth checking.
(1) My Megger wasn't covered due to the £500 limit on individual tools and I've changed that. Over all limit is £2k but I'll have to live with that.
(2) None of the tools are covered in the van overnight. Adding that doubled the premium so looks like the DeWalts are under the pillow with the Megger.
(3) And this was shocker; None of the tools are covered in the van in petrol stations or parked at Screwfix, CEF et-cetra. That's "goods in transit" cover and another £100 (no need for the "a Transit will rust away in the time it take to buy diesel" jokes)
So, £300 odd gets us PLI and £2k of tools in the van at a job site - nothing else!

Oh, nearly forgot - got to take a selfie with each of my tools to prove I own it! You really could not make up this.

...me and the combi-drill at the beach
...me and the angle grinder having dinner
...the Megger has it's own Facebook page

you have the wrong insurers.i'm with octopus for PL. £2500 tools cover included, and it covers overnight. most insurers will not cover tools on van 9pm - 6am,but mine does. :p:p:p.

Did you ask them what you would get if they are stolen?
OK, Prompted by the comments above, I just spoke to my PLI & Tool Cover Insurance. Not trying to teach the experienced hands but this might be worth checking.
(1) My Megger wasn't covered due to the £500 limit on individual tools and I've changed that. Over all limit is £2k but I'll have to live with that.
(2) None of the tools are covered in the van overnight. Adding that doubled the premium so looks like the DeWalts are under the pillow with the Megger.
(3) And this was shocker; None of the tools are covered in the van in petrol stations or parked at Screwfix, CEF et-cetra. That's "goods in transit" cover and another £100 (no need for the "a Transit will rust away in the time it take to buy diesel" jokes)
So, £300 odd gets us PLI and £2k of tools in the van at a job site - nothing else!

Oh, nearly forgot - got to take a selfie with each of my tools to prove I own it! You really could not make up this.

...me and the combi-drill at the beach
...me and the angle grinder having dinner
...the Megger has it's own Facebook page
So when are they covered?

Cover is pretty much outside the site; that's it. Sure I could get Martini Cover (any time, any place) but I'm all out of kings to ransom for the poor insurance companies.

Reply to Milenco Van Security Dead Bolts. Cheaper than ArmaDlock in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock