Discuss Mis wording in guidance 3 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all

Currently studying to take my 2391 course, in guidance note book 3, page 23, 553.2.2 it says "Particular attention should be paid to the requirements for cable couplers to ensure that the connector (female part) of the couplers us fitted at the end remote from the supply."

Surely this is mis worded and should be male part! The male part should not be on the supply side and there will be 'at the end remote from the supply!'

thank you

It is correct, the female coupler should be the live end just like a wall socket.
If it was the male coupler the live terminals would be exposed to the touch.
Perhaps if anything, the word 'remote' should be changed to 'furthest' from the supply, as 'remote' implies it may not be connected at all.

Ah, it’s all in the words ...
The plug goes into the socket (near to the supply) and the female part is at the remote end (furthest from the supply). So it seams ok to me :) .

Ah, it’s all in the words ...
The plug goes into the socket (near to the supply) and the female part is at the remote end (furthest from the supply). So it seams ok to me :) .
It is correct, the female coupler should be the live end just like a wall socket.
If it was the male coupler the live terminals would be exposed to the touch.
Perhaps if anything, the word 'remote' should be changed to 'furthest' from the supply, as 'remote' implies it may not be connected at all.

Aha I think I've got it. The supply is the light source or plug socket supplying light or power to the user. I was incorrect in thinking of the supply as from the incoming cable into the property.

At least I bloody well hope that's it, thank you guys

Aha I think I've got it. The supply is the light source or plug socket supplying light or power to the user. I was incorrect in thinking of the supply as from the incoming cable into the property.

At least I bloody well hope that's it, thank you guys

You misunderstand. As with an extension lead, the plug goes to the supply, the trailing socket - female part - is at the other end, remote, from supply. You light source or appliance goes in here.

Then you get a “widow maker” which is an extension lead with male plugs on both ends.

Disclaimer; highly dangerous, and shouldn’t be used.

In the RF world typically "plug" is the cable connected part, and "socket" is the chassis fixed part, then male has the protruding pin and female the matching orifice for the pin. But often the terminology is simplified so plug is male and socket is female.

But however it is named, the critical aspect is you should not be able to touch a live conductor.

Reply to Mis wording in guidance 3 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net