• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss MK consumer unit SPD's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bro8284

EF Member
Hi all,
I'll be wiring up two small new builds, the customer is supplying all the materials, they supplied MK consumer units, the problem is it doesn't seem MK are doing SPD's for their boards.
Any one know of a SPD that fits MK boards?

Thank you in advance

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Hi all,
I'll be wiring up two small new builds, the customer is supplying all the materials, they supplied MK consumer units, the problem is it doesn't seem MK are doing SPD's for their boards.
Any one know of a SPD that fits MK boards?

Thank you in advance
Do you actually need SPDs on your installs?

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
You don't have to fit them just because they are the new buzzword.
Read the regs and risk assessment. Speak to MK regarding their board.

SparkieMarky

Active EF Member
Have a look at Reg 443.4 as there is an exception from fitting SPDs and from doing the risk assessment (that will always come out on the side of fitting them) for single dwelling units (flats, houses etc.) where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Just out of interest, can anyone recall an instance where lightning has caused transient voltage to damage equipment in an installation?

DPG

Respected Member
Just out of interest, how many of you know of an instance where lightning has caused transient voltage to damage equipment in an installation?
Difficult to prove, but does happen. Happens more in countries which have a higher rate of electrical storms.

DPG

Respected Member
There's a website that shows where lightning is currently occurring. It's quite interesting.

alban moffitt

Regular EF Member
unless you live in the middle of India and experience large amount of voltage surges then it isn't necessary to install spd's. especially for domestic property. if you do need one then put it in a seperate box near the cu and install a wylex one

DPG

Respected Member
unless you live in the middle of India and experience large amount of voltage surges then it isn't necessary to install spd's. especially for domestic property. if you do need one then put it in a seperate box near the cu and install a wylex one
Some sweeping statements there!

richy3333

Forum Mentor
The way I read the section of the Regs and after doing the calculations for my area they are required. Can’t see how to avoid it, unless anyone can point me to what I’m missing?

essex

Forum Mentor
My coffee machine is more expensive than an SPD so I fail to see how a single dwelling could not gave enough electronic equipment to warrant an SPD being fitted.

To answer the op - any SPD will do. You would need to install a Type 2.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.