Discuss Mounting DIN rail in boxes in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

wheeto

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice: does anyone have a satisfactory way of mounting DIN rail in adaptable boxes? I normally end up mounting the box, then drilling through the box into the wall behind and mounting the DIN rail that way, but it feels a bit wrong ... does anyone have a good way of mounting DIN rails to the enclosures themselves?

Thanks,

4mm brass screws with the heads on the outside back of box. nuts inside.

Thanks all! I prefer the idea of it being demountable, so I'm going to try the conduit screws first, but with @davesparks 's idea of adding an extra one at each corner of the box :thumbsup:

Apologies @davesparks I didn't realise he was after a metal one

It wasn't clear, but I made the assumption based on plastic boxes having mounting bosses and pre cut din rails that if someone is fitting their own it is likely to be a metal box.

Plus he said adaptable box, which to me is always a metal box, I'd always call a plastic box a plastic box, or 'enclosure' as seems to be the trendy way of putting it.

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice: does anyone have a satisfactory way of mounting DIN rail in adaptable boxes? I normally end up mounting the box, then drilling through the box into the wall behind and mounting the DIN rail that way, but it feels a bit wrong ... does anyone have a good way of mounting DIN rails to the enclosures themselves?

Thanks,
All the ones ive used usually have raised fixing points for fixing din rail, usually fix using a 1/2" flange head screws.

Depending on what I'm doing I may space tje din rail off with washers to allow wires to be run behind.

Depends on where and what surface you're mounting your dist board / adaptable box.
I have used in the past cut unistrut bars with Zebedee bolts and 6mm roofing screws for both plastic and metal dist. boards.
Doesn't look too hot in many domestic environments but fine for sheds, workshops, garages, and just about all commercial / industrial installs.

Depends on where and what surface you're mounting your dist board / adaptable box.
I have used in the past cut unistrut bars with Zebedee bolts and 6mm roofing screws for both plastic and metal dist. boards.
Doesn't look too hot in many domestic environments but fine for sheds, workshops, garages, and just about all commercial / industrial installs.

The question was how do you fix din rail inside an adaptable box, unistrut seems a bit extreme for that

The question was how do you fix din rail inside an adaptable box, unistrut seems a bit extreme for that
I used this method to keep the enclosure from the wall, makes an easy access SWA termination, allow SWAs, pyros, FPxoo to run underneath when there is limited space, and use any combination of screws / bolts to fit the dinrail to the enclusure and then an easy mount onto the unistrut.

If the cables are flexible, sometimes it is easier to work on with the din rail fixed to the lid. I wouldn't do it if there were a lot of terminals though.

Reply to Mounting DIN rail in boxes in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock