Discuss Mounting Socket upside down - is it OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to install some sockets where space is at a premium. I am considering installing a double socket as normal but then installing a second double socket directly above but the upper socket upside down. Is there any reason why I should not do that?

If you put a rewireable plug in the upside down socket, theoretically it would not meet the required IP rating.

Maybe put them on their side?

If you put a rewireable plug in the upside down socket, theoretically it would not meet the required IP rating.

Maybe put them on their side?
So what do we all do about our 4 outlet extension reels? Make sure it's exactly oriented so outlets are 'side by side'?
Or do they just get kicked over so crap falls in the sockets, and invariably only 3 of the 4 ever work!!
I'm more surprised that if the space is that tight, that inverting the top outlet actually helps? For a given amount of space you can either have the cables running down and over the bottom outlet, or hard up against some kind of obstruction and having to go through 90 degrees as well?
Sounds like just the scenario for 1 double socket and a multiway extension bar if I'm honest!

So what do we all do about our 4 outlet extension reels? Make sure it's exactly oriented so outlets are 'side by side'?
Or do they just get kicked over so crap falls in the sockets, and invariably only 3 of the 4 ever work!!
I'm more surprised that if the space is that tight, that inverting the top outlet actually helps? For a given amount of space you can either have the cables running down and over the bottom outlet, or hard up against some kind of obstruction and having to go through 90 degrees as well?
Sounds like just the scenario for 1 double socket and a multiway extension bar if I'm honest!
I meant the plug top rather than the socket.

It is for a home office, so for computers, screens, printers, etc. It is in a log cabin, surface mounted with round plastic conduit. I need to keep it all fairly narrow to prevent interference with desk legs, cupboards etc.
From what has been said I assume that it doesn't break any rules, correct?

I personally don't like it, mainly because on some plugs the opening where the flex goes in is quite wide open, and over time dust and debris could drop in. Not a problem with moulded plugs admittedly.

you can get triangular dado. back of desk. no strain on plugs or cables.

I meant the plug top rather than the socket.
Indeed....but how do you propose to put the plug 'the right way up' into a socket 'the wrong way up'...? Think 4 way reel not on it's side...

Back to OP, if it's home office then likely lots of small loads and the very reason trailling 4 or 6 ways were invented! Forget upside down sockets and get a nice surge protected extension bar. Good ones normally have keyholes so you can fix nicely behind/under the desk somewhere instead of kicking it all day!

Reply to Mounting Socket upside down - is it OK? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock