Discuss Moved house into a disaster zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Has this hose turned into not so much of a bargain as you thought or is it just what you expected considering the price you paid?
It's very hard to say considering the then state of the housing market, we could have lost our buyer the first serious one in many months if we had prevaricated and there were a few people sniffing around this property. We had already rejected our 1st choice when on viewing it turned out to have a shared sewage system and long access road with a much larger property not revealed on the details and some other problems so we were under pressure to find somewhere. Frankly it is a lot worse than I had bargained for but not as bad as it could be, after all we like the style, size and location, just need a pot of gold to fix it all up, just need to buy time in the meantime, so the fire alarms are already installed!!

Rip it all out and start again
As many have said quite rightly too, but for many reasons I am afraid this will be done somewhat piecemeal. I had a serious look at lifting the laminate flooring in the room above the CU to locate the VIR power cables & bell wires but sadly it has been installed BEFORE new skirting boards were fitted so it will require considerable damage to the otherwise ok decor. I am quite pleased that I have fixed many serious faults on the main ring just by tightening screws. I did a load (1kW) voltage drop test on many outlets today (2-3V) and I think that together with a ring resistance test the other day confirms the ring and it's main spurs are now free of high impedance joints. The only ongoing worry is the condition of the remaining invisible VIR cable hence the fire alarms.

The wiring to three of the GEC MCBs is rubber, and that to the fourth looks like polythene. Tin plated earth wires as well.
That alone suggests that a full rewire is long overdue.
Your absolutely right Brian but as I explained in other posts this is somewhat impracticable atm mostly due to severe decor wrecking constraints so I intend a rolling program of improvements. So far I have eliminated the high resistance joints in the ring main and it's spurs together with any dangerous wiring in user touchable locations. My next project is to impedance test the old spur I found tucked up among the boiler pipes in the garage as I suspect this was the original garage feed. If it proves good I can eliminate the diy botch external unprotected wiring that currently feeds the garage. I have a theory as to why this was done that includes a hot tub in the garden (previous owner) powered from the garage and arcing ring joints!

Last edited:
At least get some RCD protection on it, even if it's a single 30mA RCD in the tails to the fusebox.
I was thinking that but some opinioned on here with the state of the wiring it would just continuously nuisance trip! If only I had a megger but I only have a standard DVM. There is another thread on here by me about CU RCD protection as the CU was labelled as having it but it turns out not to.

Last edited:
I have seen lengths of VIR cable, several inches long, where the insulation has completely crumbled away, leaving three bare parallel wires. These will give an absolutely perfect reading if tested with a megger - right up to the point they are disturbed.

That doesn't look like laminate flooring more like Moduleo or Karndean or though I could be wrong. I do know it is seriously expensive as I have Moduleo but it can be lifted reboarded and relaid but you would need a suitable fitter.

It might nuisance trip, but if it does, the insulation resistance is at a minimum 67 times worse than the minimum allowable. The RCD will be doing its job, trying to keep you alive, either from dying directly by electrocution, or in a house fire.
My feelings too Brian, I think you just tipped the balance, as if it nuisance trips the floors will have to come up anyway. Would you like to opinion if a spark would be prepared to fit a tail type RCD to this installation assuming I can find one (qualified spark) ?

That doesn't look like laminate flooring more like Moduleo or Karndean or though I could be wrong. I do know it is seriously expensive as I have Moduleo but it can be lifted reboarded and relaid but you would need a suitable fitter.
Hmmm I am no expert having never had the stuff before. It seems to be in modules about two planks wide by maybe a metre long, very tight joints, almost invisible and no big expansion gap around the edges, what there is is firmly under the skirting boards all round 😧

Thanks for the replies about the board guy's, I had a feeling that would be the case so for now I am stuck where I am!!
Brian, I had one of those in my last house that was fed overhead from the street. This house is underground lead sheathed used as earth. By the way I don't know why the foam behind the DNO's board, looks a right mess!!
P1170448.JPG

Last edited:
This is what I have most people think it is wood but is a digital image on a thick vinyl slat, it is very effective as it has a textured finish and bevelled edge
20220716_200518.jpg

It's really the issue that Brian mentioned - disturb it and it can be instantly a dead short.
If you post a wider-angle picture showing the tails it would help - I might consider adding an up-front RCD subject to a global IR test.
Do you mean a wider angle picture inside the CU Tim ? I have something here
P1170366.JPG

Do you mean a wider angle picture inside the CU Tim ? I have something here
I missed the photo in post 35, sorry. I don't see any reason why an up-front RCD can't be fitted. It would at least mean that if a significant vibration occurs and the VIR moves you get a trip not a fire.

But even noting your comments about decor, please get a rewire under way soon!

Reply to Moved house into a disaster zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net