Discuss multifunction tester in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shaf

-
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm going to start working for my self soon as a electrician. Been helping a electrician for a while but decided to work for my self. I'e been offered two different testers a kewtech kt65 and a fluke 1651b witch one would you recommend I take, they both need calibration. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Shaf.

not too familiar with these, but on heresay, i think the kewtewch is better specced than the fluke. google them both and have a read .

Hi guys
I'm going to start working for my self soon as a electrician. Been helping a electrician for a while but decided to work for my self. I'e been offered two different testers a kewtech kt65 and a fluke 1651b witch one would you recommend I take, they both need calibration. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Shaf.
Hi Both meters are good , Have used a kewtech and a fluke 1652b found the fluke and kewtech are very easy to use, see how old they are and what conditio, last time it was calibrated, not that calibration has that much sway , I have had many different meters over the years and every time mine has been calibrated their has never been any adjustment required. The best thing I have ever got for my meters is some silicone leads which are much more flexible.

not too familiar with these, but on heresay, i think the kewtewch is better specced than the fluke. google them both and have a read .
Ive done my research on them as you said the kewtech has bit more function's on it but thought I'd ask you guys. The kewtech is bit more expensive then the fluke tester so was wondering witch one to buy As a new starter thought I'd as the pros witch one they would choose

Hi Both meters are good , Have used a kewtech and a fluke 1652b found the fluke and kewtech are very easy to use, see how old they are and what conditio, last time it was calibrated, not that calibration has that much sway , I have had many different meters over the years and every time mine has been calibrated their has never been any adjustment required. The best thing I have ever got for my meters is some silicone leads which are much more flexible.
Thanks as some one who's worked on different testers what would you go for. The kewtech I can get for £300 and the fluke for £200 they are both in good condition but as I said they need calibration. Is it worth spending that bit extra on the kewtech. On your experience what would you buy
Cheers mate

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy tester without calibration, buying an old tester for that sort of money without is not a good idea. It could sail through but may not, would you buy a car without an MOT? Even if it needs a new set of leads and calibration it could be an extra £75+. For an extra £200 you can buy your self a new tester with warranty and calibration, know which way I would go.

Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus 17th Edition Multifunction Tester - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/metrel-mi3000-easi-plus-multifunction-tester/

Buy once, buy wisely .................... especially relevant with your tester ........

and they are extremely expensive to get repaired.

I wouldn't buy tester without calibration, buying an old tester for that sort of money without is not a good idea. It could sail through but may not, would you buy a car without an MOT? Even if it needs a new set of leads and calibration it could be an extra £75+. For an extra £200 you can buy your self a new tester with warranty and calibration, know which way I would go.

Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus 17th Edition Multifunction Tester - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/metrel-mi3000-easi-plus-multifunction-tester/
with a 2 year guarantee and a free gift. that's the way i'd go if i wasn't a confirmed Megger user. but note that the bold price does not include the dreaded vat. that's £514 inc.

Personally I'd opt for the Kewtech, but I'm a bit biased as I already have two.

Sometimes the connectors on the leads get a little intermittent, at least when trying to measure a low resistance accurately. You might want to buy a new set of leads, I generally buy a new set about once a year (£45 inc. vat), curiously enough just before my annual assessment.

Hi Agree with above. If you buying second hand meter must come with calibration then it could be worth £200- £300 maximum, remember you can get a new meter with 2-3 years warranty , got myself recently a DilogDL9118, was best value for money with 3 year warranty.. Just given my old fluke 1652B to a local college as it came back from calibration as ok but was definitely getting bad or no readings on r1+r2 on short cable lengths, to get it repaired was financially not worth the trouble as £299 + vat + p&p ripoff from all meter company's to repair.

Good point not really sure which one to buy then.
Might just wait and buy a new one. The one you recommend looks pretty good

Personally I am a kewtech fan, have the kt64dl which is the one below the kt65, the kt65 is good in that you can enter which type of mcb you are testing and it will do the zs test and then check against the internally stored values, giving a instant indication if its within the limits, it saves having to look it up. As people have said the kewtechs can be a bit funny at very low continuity readings, but often its jsut contact resistance on the leads or the fuse in the battery compartment just needs a little firm pressure to be nice and tight inside.
I agree with the advice though that I would personally go buy a new one, you can get the kt64 for around 650 new. the kt63 if you are just starting is very easy to use and is available brand new for £415. The kt63 is good if you are just doing standard domestic stuff.

I have the KT65dl, tried a megger 1731 did not like it. I like the fact you can see all six results on the RCD test (auto btw) You also get eight test functions, although I almost never test Ra. Nice and straight forward which I think is good when you have your thoughts deep in to the test results. Unlike from what I hear the Fluke requires going into submenus whereas the KT65 you just turn a dial.

shaf, i'd prefer the kt65 over the fluke. as for calibration, buy a couple of resistors from maplin's closing down sale... 1 ohm, 1k ohm, 1 meg, 10 meg., then try the meter on them, resistance and IR., if possible do a ZS and RCD tests. if looking good, you have a bargain @ £300.

Thanks as some one who's worked on different testers what would you go for. The kewtech I can get for £300 and the fluke for £200 they are both in good condition but as I said they need calibration. Is it worth spending that bit extra on the kewtech. On your experience what would you buy
Cheers mate
Spend the bit extra on a 1653 or 1652. The 1651 is a bit basic.

Reply to multifunction tester in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net