Discuss Multiple BT points...help.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it were me I would run cat5e or 6 from a convenient central point (Where the master could be installed) with a view of installing a patch panel. These could then be used for telecom or anything else and youd just put the appropriate socket on the end. You could then have as many as you wanted and just ‘patch’ the relevant point into the panel when required.

Speak to the builder, he will have been in contact with BT and will probably be installing the duct. The master socket will be through the wall from the end of the duct.

You should wire 2 3 and 5 if you want the bells to ring. It is good practice to wire all six if using 3 pair cable to CW 1308.

There is no limit to the number of sockets you can wire in but the old rule was that the maximum REN of the phones plugged in should not exceed 4. REN is ringer equivalent number and used to be used when phones had 4 k ohm bells to limit the amount of current drawn from the exchange. With modern phones I do not really think it matters too much now.

Remember that you should use secondary sockets for everything except the Master which should be provided by BT or the line supplier.

A secondary socket does not have a ringing capacitor, opt out of service resistor or a lightening suppressor.
It is now only 2 & 5 that are used the wiring of terminal 3 is known to cause interference and affect ADSL broadband speed and bandwidth while older phones may need terminal 3 connected newer equipment does not. With multi pair cables it is actually better to connect any spare cores down to earth than connect them to the socket again to suppress interference that may affect the broadband
If BT fit an NTE5c+VDSL Mk4 filter it is possible to wire from the filter to an RJ11 extension socket or module for a VDSL hub / router to be located away from the NTE5c ( master ) socket at a more convenient location. It does away with having to fit filters at every extension phone position to prevent crashing the broadband

From past troubleshooting of poor broadband speed and bandwidth issues a lot can be attributed to extension wiring whether it is unnecessary connections, proximity to power cabling or other interference sources

Can't see the point in having multiple BT outlets these days. My last house had 8, only 1 was used, the master, and cordless phones and the router plugged in to the master.
I think cat5 is a far better idea if you are installing 4 sockets.

'very long time' is a bit of a stretch when the current target is for the copper network to be taken out of service in between 5 and 7 years time.
HA, HA, not a hope in hell. You can double that and still be hoping. There are not enough engineers in the world to do that, even if the money was available (which it isn't)

If you run a radial between all the secondary’s, there’s a choice of two that can be the master.... one at each end.
Actually, the master can be at any of the points. You can wire two wires into a standard punchdown terminal - so can run extensions off in two directions.
kind of old fashioned having a load of phone points. I bet the homeowner ends up with DECT phones and a bunch of empty phone sockets
But as a late friend of mine was fond of saying, better looking at it than for it. It's easy to not use sockets that are there, it's "a lot harder" plugging into a socket you want to use that isn't there.
'very long time' is a bit of a stretch when the current target is for the copper network to be taken out of service in between 5 and 7 years time.
As already said, that's just pie in the sky thinking - not a snowball's chance in hell of it actually happening in that timescale. If they were serious about it, they've be pushing fibre right now - but as it is, they still have pricing (e.g. for FTTPoD, that's on demand) that seem designed to avoid anyone taking them up on it.
It is now only 2 & 5 that are used the wiring of terminal 3 is known to cause interference and affect ADSL broadband speed
No. Current designs of filter plate split out the DSL signal before filtering the voice signal and splitting out the ringer line. So it's safe to wire pin 3.
If BT fit an NTE5c+VDSL Mk4 filter it is possible to wire from the filter to an RJ11 extension socket or module for a VDSL hub / router to be located away from the NTE5c ( master ) socket at a more convenient location.
Doesn't have to be those, many older designs also have terminals for the A&B wires. One way of doing it is to use (e.g.) the green/white pair for the DSL and link that pair behind the extension sockets until you get to the one where you want your modem - then you fit a BT+RJ11 socket and don't take the DSL signal any further.

At my parents house when I was still living there "some years ago" we added extension sockets (as well as more mains sockets, aerial etc) as we redecorated. I put a 201C box under the stairs, routed the incoming line down to it (honestly, the master socket moved all by itself :rolleyes:), and then radially wired out to the extensions. I put a filter on the master socket, and only ran an unfiltered line up to my back room where I had the router.

Actually, the master can be at any of the points. You can wire two wires into a standard punchdown terminal - so can run extensions off in two directions.

The NTE5 master HAS to be the first socket on the incoming line as removal of the lower part or in the newer NTE5c the front part of the socket isolates the extension wiring for testing of the incoming line. The base part of the socket is the test point for the incoming line

You report a fault to BT and they only want to know about the incoming line and not the extensions anything other than their standard wiring and you will pay for the engineer visit and any work to rectify the problem

But as a late friend of mine was fond of saying, better looking at it than for it. It's easy to not use sockets that are there, it's "a lot harder" plugging into a socket you want to use that isn't there.

Or given that multi pair cables are generally used you can use spare pairs for other uses

No. Current designs of filter plate split out the DSL signal before filtering the voice signal and splitting out the ringer line. So it's safe to wire pin 3.

A lot of the ADSl filter plates are based on the design of the interstitial plates that became common when ADSL was first introduced with plug in filters they disconnected the ringing circuit to kill the interference that affected speed and bandwidth

Doesn't have to be those, many older designs also have terminals for the A&B wires. One way of doing it is to use (e.g.) the green/white pair for the DSL and link that pair behind the extension sockets until you get to the one where you want your modem - then you fit a BT+RJ11 socket and don't take the DSL signal any further.

As it is a new build I doubt BT will be fitting anything other than an NTE5c with or without a VDSL filter

At my parents house when I was still living there "some years ago" we added extension sockets (as well as more mains sockets, aerial etc) as we redecorated. I put a 201C box under the stairs, routed the incoming line down to it (honestly, the master socket moved all by itself :rolleyes:), and then radially wired out to the extensions. I put a filter on the master socket, and only ran an unfiltered line up to my back room where I had the router.

In the days before the NTE5 that was standard BT wiring, once the NTE5 became the norm that all changed

I had fibre to the house installed yesterday and it works really well. However there is a box the fibre terminates into then a patch lead to the router both need a 13A socket and all the old copper has been retained as the exchange is not fibre ready for the telephone part of it. I am just glad that it is all in a cupboard and not in a corner of the living room. On that basis if I was wiring a new house now I would try and put the master socket in a cupboard.

Agree with Plugsandsparks.
No organisation or Government has got close to meeting a target they've set or has been set for them.

Not so Smart Meters being the best example.
High speed broadband for everyone (or the majority) in the U.K, not a chance.
Elun Misk with have his Broadband global network of tens of thousands of satellites up and running his before the U.K get's all Fibre.
Just hope they don't catch fire like his cars do.
Strange how the Yanks don't trust the Chinese and Huawei, but will be trusting Misk with his background.

I had fibre to the house installed yesterday and it works really well. However there is a box the fibre terminates into then a patch lead to the router both need a 13A socket and all the old copper has been retained as the exchange is not fibre ready for the telephone part of it. I am just glad that it is all in a cupboard and not in a corner of the living room. On that basis if I was wiring a new house now I would try and put the master socket in a cupboard.
Its a really good point. Commercial clients who have enjoyed Fibre direct for decades have been able to get BT to route the fibre directly into a comms room or computer room, where power is available. Obviously ( or possibly not for Joe Public) fibre has to be lit and this needs power. Traditionally with Fibre cables there is no power within the cable, it has to be provided locally. More work for sparkies, lol
[automerge]1592925823[/automerge]
Agree with Plugsandsparks.
No organisation or Government has got close to meeting a target they've set or has been set for them.

Not so Smart Meters being the best example.
High speed broadband for everyone (or the majority) in the U.K, not a chance.
Elun Misk with have his Broadband global network of tens of thousands of satellites up and running his before the U.K get's all Fibre.
Just hope they don't catch fire like his cars do.
Strange how the Yanks don't trust the Chinese and Huawei, but will be trusting Misk with his background.
I worked for BT for over 20 years on and off, started in 1986 when BT first started out rolling out fibre and going digital, my job then in 1986, was getting it into MNCs and Cellular Towers. When the big bang came along we simply could not keep up with demand and we had 240,000 employees. Over the years watched BT wrestle with government, wrestle with its balance sheet and today it does not have two half pennies to rub together. Getting fibre to a street cabinet was challenging but now we do have "superfast broadband" - great stuff. Getting fibre to each home is several orders of magnitude harder, more expensive and costly.... Good Luck BT

Last edited:
Its a really good point. Commercial clients who have enjoyed Fibre direct for decades have been able to get BT to route the fibre directly into a comms room or computer room, where power is available. Obviously ( or possibly not for Joe Public) fibre has to be lit and this needs power. Traditionally with Fibre cables there is no power within the cable, it has to be provided locally. More work for sparkies, lol
TBH it was difficult to get any info from BT they were working on the basis that I was a stupid customer and their wonderful engineer would fix every thing, I didn't even know if I was getting fibre to the cabinet or to the home until the guy arrived. Then there was the issue of an extra socket, I gave him an extension and wired a socket last night, no problem to a spark but for Joe Public? The next issue was that he was not allowed in the attic due to covid!! so he was going to clip a cable all around the house, so I ended up in the attic pulling the fibre in for him, at least he was flexible and would come and go.

I my simple mind it seems quite obvious that a source of power will be required for whatever receives the light signal and turns it into an electrical signal. Then it also seems obvious to me that the first thing to consider is having a fibre cable with a DC conductor pair incorporated in it to provide power for BT equipment (i assume the electronics involved are relatively low power)

It really depends where BT put the fibre end points and what "management" they go for.
5W an end would not be outrageous. Multiply that up and you are very quickly into KW.
It would be less attractive for BT to provide "exchange" power for the consumer end and also of course the cable being metallic would reduce some of its advantages as you introduce all the "faults" associated with copper cables.
Not much different to ADSL Modem/router so would have thought BT would proceed with a glass only solution with power provided locally. Just a guess but that is how it has been done to date.

The NTE5 master HAS to be the first socket on the incoming line as removal of the lower part or in the newer NTE5c the front part of the socket isolates the extension wiring for testing of the incoming line. The base part of the socket is the test point for the incoming line
The front part will take two wires - or at least all the older designs before the current POS took two wires in each terminal. Two wires in a terminal = means to run two radials, a.k.a. having the master in the middle of a run. Otherwise, there's always 3 way jellies in the back of the box as an option !

Reply to Multiple BT points...help.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock