Discuss My husband is an electrician, need advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

cricket1

My husband is a 53 year old senior electrician skilled in most fields, commercial, industrial, domestic, medical, etc, etc. He qualified in New Zealand but worked in the UK 30 years ago. We are currently in Australia but moving back to the UK next year. My question is, would his current experience and qualifications meet the UK criteria? What would he have to do to make them meet the criteria or how can we find out?

His current qualifications are Australian/NZ A grade electrician-fitter/mechanic/technician with advance trades in heavy industry.

Also, there seems to be plenty of jobs advertised but what's it like over there at the moment?

Thankyou for any help you can offer.

My husband is a 53 year old senior electrician skilled in most fields, commercial, industrial, domestic, medical, etc, etc. He qualified in New Zealand but worked in the UK 30 years ago. We are currently in Australia but moving back to the UK next year. My question is, would his current experience and qualifications meet the UK criteria? What would he have to do to make them meet the criteria or how can we find out?

His current qualifications are Australian/NZ A grade electrician-fitter/mechanic/technician with advance trades in heavy industry.

Also, there seems to be plenty of jobs advertised but what's it like over there at the moment?

Hi Cricket,

Here's a list of organisations (government approved electrical scheme's) that may be able to give your husband some idea of where he would stand with his qualifications. Maybe worth just dropping them a quick email?

NAPIT
NAPIT - Home

NICEIC
Welcome to NICEIC, the home of electrical contracting excellence — NICEIC Group

ECA
Homepage

Elecsa
Welcome to ELECSA

You could also try the City & Guilds website who is a reconised qualification standard global. Here:

City & Guilds - Skills for a brighter future

Hope this helps!

Warren

The A grade is basically your approved to technician position.

There is working kicking around at the moment but nothing hugely long term started yet but should change soon.

His qualifications acceptance/level should not be a problem
After all electrical theory and practice standards in both countries are probably similar
What may be very advatageous for him is the qualification for the current edition of the iee wiring regulations (17th edition)
This edition has just lately been implemented and will be around for possibly the next decade
It may be esential for job applications and or registration for self employment with scheme
Handy to have prior to return

Maybe so, but why are our qualifications not suitable for New Zealand?

I heard that if we wanted to work there then we would have to retrain from the beginning.

Could be wrong tho...

Thanks everyone. I'll get my husband to reply re Australia and NZ. I think it's tougher here at the moment unless you've got a lot of experience and high standard of training. The only reason my husband is giving up his job is because I have a business that will work far better in the UK.

Australia is a huge country with it's small population spread out over a massive surface area. A bit like Canada, it creates communication and networking problems so work opportunities tend to be opportunistic for as long as the job lasts. Once it goes, you then have to consider moving 1,000's of miles away to the next job whereas in the UK, you probably only have to consider work as far as 300 miles away.

Both Australia and NZ have more regulations than the UK, it could almost be said that they make it deliberately hard. I know one couple who are fed up of having to constantly jum through hoops, (2 years college plus different licences) all adding to the expense, so they are returning to the UK. A lot of people move here then realise it wasn't as bad as they thought in the UK.

NZ is in a recession and because it's so small and so far away, it is harder to find work. Australia is laying off workers but they get really tough, they make sure work goes to the locals only. They will always employ an Australian given a choice so they will sack you first if someone else can do the job.
Just be a bit careful that the grass isn't greener on the other side, I've been here 5 years and I believe the UK still has the best work opportunities.
Also, they do deceive to get you over here sometimes. They want you for your skill but don't always want to give anything back so visas can be a problem leaving you in limbo. Moving countries is an opportunity but not necessarily a permanent arrangement.
A lot of skilled workers have come over here on a promise but once here, they've found themselves being short changed.
I hope this helps anyone considering a move abroad. Just make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.
If we can offer any help at all just ask and we'll happily do our best.

It seems my husband's best assets are his level of skill and years experience. He is going to do the 17th edition to bring him upto scratch.

Reply to My husband is an electrician, need advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock