• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss My trusty Hitachi SDS drill has died!:-( in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

Electrician's Arms
After a long life and valuable service in the face of all adversity my SDS drill popped on Friday!:-( It was like losing a long serving friend.
So do I replace with a new Hitachi, Dewalt or other offering? Any suggestions greatly received, not that I really need them, just looking for amusement on a Saturday evening!;-)

ferg

Electrician's Arms
I just got the Dewalt DCH 273.

I've only used it once so far for a 400mm 20mm hole through concrete block and a handful of 6mm holes.

It is Fecking awesome. :D :D

Moley

Baaaa!!!
Mine is a Bosch. Not sure which model without going out to the van but it is absolute shite :mad:

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
I’m sorry for your loss!
May you find strength in this time of great sorrow!
An hitachi is for life - not just for Sparkys

PEG

Respected Member
Me, Hilti TE 6-C, proper job! :)
I would agree,i have a similar version,which came off an overseas escapade. It is a TEH7-SC,never seen another,and the lad at Hilti hadn't either...but it is awesome,will go from a 5mm bit,to a 200mm diamond core cutter...at the end,it's going in the coffin with me;)

mhar

Electrician's Arms
Another vote for anything Hilti, I have a 36V TE6. For my mains sds drill I bought an Hitachi a couple of years ago as it had the highest impact energy in it's class, trouble is it eats cheap chisel bits

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
might only need a new set of brushes. man up and open it.

Reactions: Bul

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
I would expect new brushes to cost less than a tenner.
If you do decide to buy a new drill, choose one that’s compatible with tools you already have.

happysteve

Electrician's Arms
For my mains sds drill I bought an Hitachi a couple of years ago as it had the highest impact energy in it's class...
I did the same, and sort of regret it. It's great for big/long holes, trouble is that the brick/plaster is much more likely to burst when the bit comes out the other side, compared to my more wussy (consumer-grade) Dewalt that it replaced. I try to back off on pressure and speed when getting to the end of the hole, but it's always a bit hit-and-miss. Could do with a "half-impact" switch.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.