Discuss need help with energy let thru data in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
can anybody help me with reguards to the i2t (energy let through data) some manufactures provide a graph and others state a figure. im confused as to what value of I2t (energy let thru to use) for a given fault current when trying to calculate minimum cpc for fault currents <0.1s

I2t < s2k2

please can anyone help.

Last edited:
If the 3ka is your PSC at the supply then this will be used to look up the I2t rating of the mcb , but each manufacterer and mcb type is different so you'll need the mcb makers info.

right thankyou biff , so if my PSC at supply is 1.8kA (measured) then i would use this as my fault current when looking up the I2t on the manufactures graph.

some manufactures just supply figures for 3ka 6ka 10ka mcb rating ect (max values of i2t ) if your max PSC is only 1.8kA what figure would be used for i2t sorry if im beeing thick just confused as the data is presented in different ways.

trying to work out if a cpc has been incorectly sized. i used the adiabatic and manufactures time/current graph due to low zs and discconection time being 0.01s and it appeared fine. now when using i2t <k2s2 im not sure as to which figure i need to use for i2t if that makes any sense

Sounds challenging stuff , not usually done in such detail for regular work , is this for a college course ?
If your doing this stuff often i'd recommend bying the IEE design guide book , it gives working examples of the I2t calcs.

your right im going too deep ill just stick with the adiabatic calclations seem to work out fine

zs 0.35. i = 230/0.35 =657.14 A. k= 115. t = 0.01s (manfactures data)

so S = sqrt(657.14^x0.01) /115

= 0.57mm2 so 1.5mm2 cpc should be perfectly ok.

your right im going too deep ill just stick with the adiabatic calclations seem to work out fine

zs 0.35. i = 230/0.35 =657.14 A. k= 115. t = 0.01s (manfactures data)

so S = sqrt(657.14^x0.01) /115

= 0.57mm2 so 1.5mm2 cpc should be perfectly ok.

^^^ All that for 1.5 lol ?! wouldnt blame you if it was 185mm SWA at £200 a metre lol.
Good effort on the calcs though :)

Reply to need help with energy let thru data in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock