Discuss Neutral to a switch for future use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I've seen some posts in the past about smart switches needing a neutral at the switch. I have a rewire coming up and was planning to use 3 core and earth as the switch line for some switches (2 gang switch will need just 1 neutral from a 3 core earth and the other SL can be T+E) as the switch will be eating a neutral. I'm only doing this for a outside the box, future proof idea. Going to be using hager accessories and they have a neutral loop terminal.
Is it a bit of an overkill? I have looked for some smart switches and a lot of them don't even require a neutral.

Nothing wrong at all. Regarding multi gang switches, it wouldn't usually do to wire two switch wires in a three core, anyway.......if they're going to different lighting positions.
Don't trust those 'neutral eaters', either.:confused:

I believe it is in the 18th edition that consideration should be given to making the neutral available at switches.
Once again, no instruction to....anything to prevent head scratching.
Don't forget to leave your spare ways in a new CU/DB, for instance.

Once again, no instruction to....anything to prevent head scratching.
Don't forget to leave your spare ways in a new CU/DB, for instance.

Maybe they assume electricians are intelligent and don't need to be spoon-fed instructions?

Yes of course you should leave spare ways in a DB, are you suggesting that the IET should be dictating a set amount of spare ways that must be allowed for?

Maybe they assume electricians are intelligent and don't need to be spoon-fed instructions?

Yes of course you should leave spare ways in a DB, are you suggesting that the IET should be dictating a set amount of spare ways that must be allowed for?
No, just make your own mind up.
Oh, and, maybe, such assumptions shouldn't be made lightly with all the basic, spoon-fed crap that is provided these days.

I suspect in time we will see it a requirement for a line, neutral and cpcto be available at every point and like we test for continuity of cpc we will also have to tick to prove continuity of the neutral.
It makes sense if you think about it as it helps future proof the install, especially with growing smart homes

So I've seen some posts in the past about smart switches needing a neutral at the switch. I have a rewire coming up and was planning to use 3 core and earth as the switch line for some switches (2 gang switch will need just 1 neutral from a 3 core earth and the other SL can be T+E) as the switch will be eating a neutral. I'm only doing this for a outside the box, future proof idea. Going to be using hager accessories and they have a neutral loop terminal.
Is it a bit of an overkill? I have looked for some smart switches and a lot of them don't even require a neutral.
It will never be a disadvantage to have a neutral available at the switch. Overkill it is not. Seconly you are prepared for any surprises regarding the homeowners choice of light fittings. Having a single t&e at the light point I find is always reassuring in this, regard. So many light fittings nowadays don't have terminal large enough to support a loop neural.
[automerge]1596395108[/automerge]
I suspect in time we will see it a requirement for a line, neutral and cpcto be available at every point and like we test for continuity of cpc we will also have to tick to prove continuity of the neutral.
It makes sense if you think about it as it helps future proof the install, especially with growing smart homes
Agreed

I loop in and out of switches with neutrals, the old attitude and stigma was baseless and unfounded and in modern times actually is more beneficial due to technology and options... anyone disagrees with having a neutral at a switch I am happy to take criticism but only if they can back up been against it with a valid viewpoint or regulation.

I loop in and out of switches with neutrals, the old attitude and stigma was baseless and unfounded and in modern times actually is more beneficial due to technology and options... anyone disagrees with having a neutral at a switch I am happy to take criticism but only if they can back up been against it with a valid viewpoint or regulation.
There will always be some arguments against it but no valid ones.

Looping at switches makes fault finding easier. Straight forward understanding.

although dropping a 3 core gives you that neutral at the switch, it’s just a redundant cable until it’s needed.
3 cores only for linking 2 way switches for ease

Nothing wrong at all. Regarding multi gang switches, it wouldn't usually do to wire two switch wires in a three core, anyway.......if they're going to different lighting positions.
Don't trust those 'neutral eaters', either.:confused:
Hi you kind of lost me here, maybe I’m not reading it properly. What did u mean with multi gang switches it wouldn’t do to wire to switch wires ina three core? Thanks in advance
[automerge]1596500521[/automerge]
I believe it is in the 18th edition that consideration should be given to making the neutral available at switches.
Yes I’ve come across this, for the purpose of easy fault finding? The neutral I’m running to a switch is not loop in and out to each switch like a 2 plate system. It’s going to be normal 3 plate with a redundant neutral like @littlespark mentioned.
[automerge]1596501400[/automerge]
This question I’m going to ask I am probably answering myself but... I’ve never used 3 core for switch lines (only strappers). The lighting feed will be 1.5mm but am I still good to get the switch cables 3 core in 1mm? Reason being is I’ll buy the 3 core drums for the smokes, fans, switch lines and strappers on the same drum. But when it comes to strapping and I need to stick 3 cores in one terminal possibly for porch wiring I don’t want to be trying to drill the terminal hole bigger for me to fit them in, hahah only joking but yeah...? I know 1mm can still handle what the lighting circuit will take, is there anything against this? I know this is a easy question but just making sure.

Last edited:
bear in mind that eche section of 1.0mm 3 core whether switch wires or strappers, only carries the load of 1 fitting ( or multipe fittings e.g. downlights), not the load of the whole circuit.

I think running neutrals to light switches is a good idea in the larger rooms in a house. For the utility room or the cupboard under the stairs, not required.
Also is the end of the 16mm deep box here? Again for larger rooms should we only fit 25mm or deeper to allow for future flat plates/dimmers/smart switches?

Hi you kind of lost me here, maybe I’m not reading it properly. What did u mean with multi gang switches it wouldn’t do to wire to switch wires ina three core? Thanks in advance
I misread regarding the 3c and twin.....no problem.

As regards neutrals at switches, in general......whichever way suits.
It's very handy at switches but I have found situations, in the past, when it has been handy having a live at the light point....for pick up.

Last edited:
I misread regarding the 3c and twin.....no problem.

As regards neutrals at switches, in general......whichever way suits.
It's very handy at switches but I have found situations, in the past, when it has been handy having a live at the light point....for pick up.
You would still have a PL at each light fitting as you would be taking a 3core+E from the switch to the light fitting if you are looping in and out through the switch.
[automerge]1596550708[/automerge]
This is an interesting thread.
Do you guys actually do this on a rewire?
Would the main reason be so that the light switch could be usable by smart technology?
I think I may now at least discuss it with the client as an option.

If everyone started making and installing stuff like Philips Hue, one wouldn't need wired switches. Anyhows, in a few years electricery will be all done on WIFI or Bluetooth or something else, and there won't be need for electricians. :)

Reply to Neutral to a switch for future use? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock