Discuss Neutral to earth reversal in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

compaq

Hi
We had an unusual fault the other day, i thought the members might be able to explain it, here go's.
We got called to an industrial unit to do a job, the supply was TT, TPN, 100A and the protection device was an old four pole voltage operated earth leakage circuit breaker, earth electrode was in place and correctly connected to earth terminal of VOELCB, frame terminal was correctly connected to the installation earth.
The DB was a metalclad MEM Exel 4 way HRC fuse board.
We told the customer that we would have to replace the VOELCB with a RCD before we could carry out the works, he agreed.
We tested the Ze at the DB, it was 0.51 ohms, then got suspicious as we would expect the Ze to be around 20 ohms, knowing the area well.
We had previously arranged to shut the supply off at dinner time, so we had to get on with the job and replaced the VOELCB with a 100mA 4 pole RCD.
The RCD tripped off immediatlely.
We started testing and found a neutral to earth dead short.
Pulled all the neutrals out of the neutral bar one by one and tested them to earth, all tested OK.
Scratched our heads a bit more.
Pulled all the neutrals out of the neutral bar and found the neutral bar was directly connect to earth, then it became obvious, the 'electrician' who installed the DB connected all the earths to the neutral bar and all the neutrals to the earth bar !!!!
We swapped them around and all was OK.
We retested Ze and it was now 25 ohms - as expected.
The neutral to earth short would account forthe low reading of Ze previously obtained.

This installation must have been like this for years, can anyone tell me the problems associated with letting the neutral return down to earth, it seems to me that they had inadvertently created their own little PME system !
Thanks

dont see how they had created there own pme system? as the neutral would go straight back to the star point of the transformer.
wouldnt it?
dont thinkit would course a lot of problems as far of general working of the system, hence its beeen like it for years but certainly a bad idea with the general design and fault issues! a big no no

I also don't see the problem, unless rcd's were in place. That's how it is on incommers aint it?
If its big ****, all none rcd owners are in for a whole lot of hassle -;) Oh my the UK is burning, everyone is burnt or electricuted......

Reply to Neutral to earth reversal in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock