Discuss New conservatory questions....... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am having a new conservatory built in my own garden.

It is 3m x 4m North facing with a dwarf wall.

I expect I will put in electric underfloor heating and have a separate plug in heater if the UFH is not sufficient on really cold winter days.

A few questions:

1. Anyone know where I can get cheap engineered wood flooring? It's bloody expensive!

2. I've considered vinyl, but the flooring will have a lot of traffic and I think vinyl will show wear signs around 5 years, will it??

3. Has anyone used Uheat, one of the forum sponsers and would they recommend them? Any other recommendations for electric underfloor heating?

Cheers guys.

as above. fit a bloody big rad. with a TRV. our cons. is 6m x 4m and the rad.is a 2m double. still cold in winter.

Plan for how you will keep it cool in the summer. My neighbour's consevatory is unbearable during most of the summer. Even warps plastic items sometimes.

I am having a new conservatory built in my own garden.

As apposed to building it in your neighbours garden? don't think they'd be too pleased. :D

North facing, its going to be cold... soooo cooold… in the winter, and when it is sunny, its gonna be unbearable. Put a proper roof on it, and proper walls. Build an extension, not a conservatory:p

If you've got gas central heating use that rather than electrical heating. Converstory take a lot of heating and using gas central heating will work out a lot cheaper I the long run

as above. fit a bloody big rad. with a TRV. our cons. is 6m x 4m and the rad.is a 2m double. still cold in winter.

All underfloor heating will do is empty your bank account.....

Especially as it's north facing

I know, I know.... UFH is expensive and not economical but I just want it:oops:.

Don't do it.

Get some plastic flooring like Karndean or Amtico.

Tell me more Midwest? Is this Vinyl? Is it hard wearing?

As apposed to building it in your neighbours garden? don't think they'd be too pleased. :D

North facing, its going to be cold... soooo cooold… in the winter, and when it is sunny, its gonna be unbearable. Put a proper roof on it, and proper walls. Build an extension, not a conservatory:p

I would love an extension but it's just too expensive:(

So, back to the 3 questions anyone?

oak flooring is about £25/sq.m...... cheaper than a decent carpet.

Leave it, work harder save more money and build a proper extension. Conservatories are for old gits that are nearing the end.

every conservatory my parents ever had were kitted out with those portable 3bar gas fires, aswell as a radiator, dont skimp on the heating when its easy to install now rather than later

ive seen too many underfloor mats that become faulty to rely on them in my own home

you could also raise the floor by an inch or so and have the underfloor heating plumbed in, seen it done on a kitchen extension recently, was snowing and it kept the chill off even at a low temperature without windows fitted

I know, I know.... UFH is expensive and not economical but I just want it:oops:.

Tell me more Midwest? Is this Vinyl? Is it hard wearing?

I would love an extension but it's just too expensive:(

So, back to the 3 questions anyone?
build it yourself? its just sticks and bricks how hard can it be? :D

Bloody ell! It's the same price as engineered wood!

Yeah but you don't have to paint every 5 minutes, and its more hygienic and comes in a variety of colours and finishes. AND you don't have to chop down a load of trees to do it. AND if some ---- puts a hole in it or whatever you can just replace the damaged plank.

Thought you were a tree hugger HHD :)

Last edited:
My Parents lived in a Council house in Twerton, Bath, they were nominally called "Steel Houses" the ground floor, flooring looked like parquet, but was in fact old Pallets, looked good when polished and lasted till after I moved out some 50 years ago, been back to some Friends on the same estate, still there, good as new, well nearly, showing it's age a bit, still not bad for making do when materials were scarce.

I put a heat curtain in our conservatory in winter it comes on at 6 a.m. and by the time we open the doors and the heat from the adjacent room flows it is usable. It runs off of the central heating so is quite economical. It also provides cooling fan in summer.

Reply to New conservatory questions....... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock