Discuss New DB loaded with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Could someone tell me how much you would charge for a 12way Wylex DB loaded with RCBOs as new customer has been charged £1900 which I think is a bit steep

How much for the materials, and how long to do the job, plus your mark up. 1900 scrots is a bit naughty imo
DP RCBOs? has the install been tested? Domestic? etc etc

Last edited:
You are looking at about £500+VAT for the assembly and a full day maybe £300+VAT to install so a maximum of £1000inc unless there were other works going on or specific problems on the install.

Are you asking how much for the board alone, or the board with Install?

Ignore this just seen last post.

£1900 is a complete rip off.

Last summer I did a 15 way Crabtree unit with RCBO's and it took 1.5 days - my bill was £905 including testing, and notification.

Wish I was earning that on a board change:eek: I would've come in at about £550 If there was no bonding to do etc based on a days work.

I'm finding that an upgrade to bonding is needed 9 times out of 10, and I rarely find an installation which hasn't got issues that need sorting. I reckon an average board change these days for me is anything between £800 and £1200

I agree total rip off I would say around £600 for materials with a little mark up so £1300 for 7 hours work around £185 an hour just a joke, £900 job in my eyes

I agree total rip off I would say around £600 for materials with a little mark up so £1300 for 7 hours work around £185 an hour just a joke, £900 job in my eyes
In fairness if the pricing was agreed or never asked for then there isn't anything wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't criticise someone for charging good money for work. Unfortunately in many places it is hard to sustain fair (to the Electrician) charges.

In fairness if the pricing was agreed or never asked for then there isn't anything wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't criticise someone for charging good money for work. Unfortunately in many places it is hard to sustain fair (to the Electrician) charges.
Risteard is this your signature or has the forum dropped an advert in that looks like your endorsing?

ris.PNG

Edit: No its the forum ...It now looks like I'm pluging screwfix as I'm the last poster lol

Test the installation first.

I try to do some basic tests before quoting, but that in itself can cause problems...
Firstly, do we charge to test the installation, knowing that we may not get the work? If so, how long do we work for free?
Secondly, assuming that the IR tests are ok, what if there is a break in the ring on one or more circuits? I find this on nearly every board change).
Thirdly, when changing from an old rewireable to an RCD board, do we test all appliances which could have earth leakage?
Fourthly, do we check that there are no shared neutrals across lighting circuits?

Obviously, once we start testing circuits properly, we may find missing earths, dodgy connections, spurs off spurs, incorrectly-sized cables, missing enclosures, damaged accessories, and so on.

I try to do some basic tests before quoting, but that in itself can cause problems...
Firstly, do we charge to test the installation, knowing that we may not get the work? If so, how long do we work for free?
Secondly, assuming that the IR tests are ok, what if there is a break in the ring on one or more circuits? I find this on nearly every board change).
Thirdly, when changing from an old rewireable to an RCD board, do we test all appliances which could have earth leakage?
Fourthly, do we check that there are no shared neutrals across lighting circuits?

Obviously, once we start testing circuits properly, we may find missing earths, dodgy connections, spurs off spurs, incorrectly-sized cables, missing enclosures, damaged accessories, and so on.
Well that is why you should test it first.

What you could do is say to the customer that when changing a CU the circuits your reconnecting has to be safe to do so. If you find something that's not safe there may be an additional cost to make it safe which will be discussed if a problem arises or the circuit cant be connected. To circumnavigate this you could have an EICR done for a small fee of £££ which will bring up any defects and if any are found this can be discussed and priced before you proceed with the change. If you have the CU change done within 2-3 days of the EICR I can offer you a discount of ££ amount as I have all the results of the dead tests from the EICR. This way you earn extra from doing the report having a chance to price defects without being under pressure and if the customer isn't willing to pay an additional cost to rectify any defects your still quids in from doing the report.

What you could do is say to the customer that when changing a CU the circuit your reconnecting has to be safe to do so. If you find something there may be an additional cost to make it safe which will be discussed if a problem arises or the circuit cant be connected. To circumnavigate this you could have an EICR done for a small fee of £££ which will bring up any defects and if any are found this can be discussed and priced before you proceed with the change. If you have the CU change done within 2-3 days of the EICR I can offer you a discount of ££ amount as I have all the results of the dead tests from the EICR.
In an ideal world this would work great.
Reality is (in my experience) the majority of folk don't want to pay to be told that their "perfectly working electrics" are faulty and need repairs/upgrades. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place in my opinion.

Reply to New DB loaded with RCBOs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net