Discuss New electric supply connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it is 2 phase, might be worth re-visiting your EV charger options as the 22KW ones (AC) i know of are 3 phase and ditto for rapid chargers
I was a bit confused by apparently differing messages following the DNO's quotation. The design states dual phase. The staff who then made a site visit to plan connection dates etc. said "3 phase". Perhaps it is 46kVA 3phase, for all I know (which is not much).

Post up the quote and we can advise
New electric supply connection 1627197044710 - EletriciansForums.net
It seems to be 100A 3p, just as you all advised. Apologies for the confusion.
Their drawing said "dual phase", but that is not in their detailed quote.
100A 3p it will be, I believe.

100A 3p 46kVA will suffice for EV charging, I imagine. For the dwelling itself (no heat pump / no AC), how many kVA would you allow?
And what underground cable would do from the meter box to the dwelling? T&E in duct or SWA? If SWA, 16mm2 or 25 mm2? 3 core?

Distance from meter box to dwelling<15m, of which <4m will pass under a driveway turning area.

100/3 is a ‘standard’ 3ph supply, you don’t really go downwards from that.

Why the fixation to have the meter separate from the dwelling?? Because, straight away in order to get 100/3 from an external point to the dwelling itself you’ve probably gained £1000+ of expensive and probably unnecessary works, and that’s before groundwork costs and hassle. You’d actually be downgrading your supply before you’d even used it for reasons to do with technical regs that I won’t go into here as I don’t want to confuse.

WWilts - if your user name is a reference to geography then drop me a private message, I may not be that far from you!

New 46kVA electric supply to new backland dwelling (37m from footpath). Mains cable runs along the footpath at the road access.
Which option would you choose and why?

Option 1

Meter box near footpath. Own fuse and armoured cable (>30m distance) underground to new dwelling.

Option 2

Meter box 25 m from footpath. Own fuse and armoured cable (<15m distance) underground to new dwelling.
Normally I would say , get a quote from your DNO for their side of the work , for either option and then you will see if you have a larger enough price difference between the two in order to make it economically viable to do the majority of the work yourself. ( Saved one client £36k by doing this)
But now that you have shown your quote I would say that the DNO should the whole length , as it is not worth the pennies you'll save.

Also as you will see yourself if you follow the forum , Rockingit knows his stuff and you won't go far wrong with his help.
I am not trying to to put your knowledge down , but the fact you asked if running twin and earth in a duct was acceptable , to me would indicate you could do with some external paid help.

Good luck with your project

100/3 is a ‘standard’ 3ph supply, you don’t really go downwards from that.

Why the fixation to have the meter separate from the dwelling?? Because, straight away in order to get 100/3 from an external point to the dwelling itself you’ve probably gained £1000+ of expensive and probably unnecessary works, and that’s before groundwork costs and hassle. You’d actually be downgrading your supply before you’d even used it for reasons to do with technical regs that I won’t go into here as I don’t want to confuse.

WWilts - if your user name is a reference to geography then drop me a private message, I may not be that far from you!
An electrician building their own house did this:
"a switch fuse in my meter box with an 80A fuse in it to discriminate from the suppliers 100A fuse. Meter In external kiosk. Can be connected and finished before the house is built so you have a site supply without having to move it later. No need for a meter box on the outside wall of your house. Run your own SWA able from this kiosk to the house when you are ready with no DNO involvement."

The new dwelling will come later, just trying to get supply to site. And to avoid unnecessary costs.
Will PM

Normally I would say , get a quote from your DNO for their side of the work , for either option and then you will see if you have a larger enough price difference between the two in order to make it economically viable to do the majority of the work yourself. ( Saved one client £36k by doing this)
But now that you have shown your quote I would say that the DNO should the whole length , as it is not worth the pennies you'll save.

Also as you will see yourself if you follow the forum , Rockingit knows his stuff and you won't go far wrong with his help.
I am not trying to to put your knowledge down , but the fact you asked if running twin and earth in a duct was acceptable , to me would indicate you could do with some external paid help.

Good luck with your project
No pretence of knowledge here. Just trying to understand enough to make intelligent suggestions to builder.

An electrician building their own house did this:
"a switch fuse in my meter box with an 80A fuse in it to discriminate from the suppliers 100A fuse.
You won't get meaningful selectivity between 80A and 100A as they are both subject to something like +/-10% tolerance, etc, and the total let-through I2t for the 80A clearing is less than the pre-arcing I2t of the 100A.

Typically you need to have a 1.6:1 ration for BS88 and other European fuses (i.e. two sizes, so 63A & 100A or 50A & 80A, etc) for that.

But really selectivity is only needed if you expect to need it. If you are putting in a switch-fuse for the long tails it is largely down to the regulations that require both a means of isolation (the switch) and OCPD that is matching the sub-main characteristics (i.e. 5s disconnect for fault in or at the end of the cable).

The regulations do allow the DNO fuse provided they agree to it being used. Realistically it is easier to fit a switched-fuse!

Where you need selectivity (and so fusing down a bit from the DNO) is when you have several circuits coming off the DNO fuse. And by that I mean several sub-mains, for example at a Ryefield board or where tails have been split to allow two CU or some massive load to be added and you reasonably expect a fault on one sub-main not to take out the lot.

For the typical case of long meter tails / sub-main you really ought to have it designed so that it won't be overloading the DNO supply anyway (diversity allowing) so having your own choice of fuse is down to it independently providing protection to your choice of cable and supply Ze, etc.

In that case you might be putting in 80A, even though on a hard fault it probably won't save the DNO fuse, because it then meets your 5s requirement and is enough for the planned loads.

I've been involved with builds in the middle of nowhere on many occasions, and on some, I've got over the problem of a site supply by getting the builders to build just a small triangular section of the outer house wall to build the meter box into. I've then fixed my board (used on many sites) with an IP65 small RCD protected consumer unit and two IP55 double switch sockets on it, to the reverse side of the wall section, in what eventually will be the cavity.

I've been involved with builds in the middle of nowhere on many occasions, and on some, I've got over the problem of a site supply by getting the builders to build just a small triangular section of the outer house wall to build the meter box into. I've then fixed my board (used on many sites) with an IP65 small RCD protected consumer unit and two IP55 double switch sockets on it, to the reverse side of the wall section, in what eventually will be the cavity.
Builder will need electricity before the building comes out of the ground. And DNO provides only 25 m of their own stuff within the quoted price. Suggestion was to provide external meter box/kiosk to receive DNO supply, & eventually run own SWA to dwelling. Then DNO does not need to provide another quote for covering the <15m distance remaining from kiosk to dwelling.

Won't 30m of swa give you less to play with on voltage drop and fault loop impedances in the building itself

BTW 100A Supply off three phase is around 70KVA so you can fill your boots with EV, lol
On a serious note, be aware of what charging the individual cars will take before blindly connecting 4 EVs and going to bed..??

Won't 30m of swa give you less to play with on voltage drop and fault loop impedances in the building itself
It'll be the same voltage drop whether it's a DNO cable or a private one. The difference is that you won't have to take it into your calculations if it's DNO. Will help with loop impedance if it's TNC-S, not so for TNS

Just because you have a.22kw ev charger doesnt mean the car will charge at that rate. A lot wont charge above 7kw.
As.for DC rapid charging why have two 22kw if fitting one of these?
I installed.a.dc.rapid charger for a guy in Bath. Had to use a lifting machine to position it! Weighed nearly 100kg also had a.22 kw Andersen for visitors etc
He had a small fleet of cars for family, staff and security so needed rapid charging. When people.got back cars.were charged and cleaned.

Just because you have a.22kw ev charger doesnt mean the car will charge at that rate. A lot wont charge above 7kw.
True. But in due course most cars might allow faster charging.
The 3 phase was obtained just to future proof the new build to some extent.

Does the distance from the 3 phase distribution board to the EV chargers matter much? For example, 3 m vs 20 m?

Does the distance from the 3 phase distribution board to the EV chargers matter much? For example, 3 m vs 20 m?

Costs more money ,.you.have to factor in the distance

About it I'd say

Yes, that extra 17M of cable will cost more anything from £50-£100 depending on cable, where purchased etc then you have cable fixings, larger glands. labour costs as trying to work with some large cables can be tiring and like wrestling an anaconda.
Then you have to account for voltage drop, 20M is a small run but when you are fitting a charger at a property and you have a cable run of around 40M then it becomes a much bigger issue, careful circuit design and calculation can mean you use a smaller cable and thus save money/materials. I had to get the groundworkers to run 10mm SWA 3 core recently for a garage install and whilst only supplying a single 7kw charger, some sockets and led strip lights, had to increase the cable size from 6mm to allow for the MD and voltage drop as the cable run was a right zig zag affair through rocky ground and around other services.

Reply to New electric supply connection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock