Discuss New installtion to have all electric. No gas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Hi all,

Been to look at a job which consists of 3x 2 bed room flats and they want everything to be electric.

Wall heaters in every room, 2x electric showers per flat, hobs, immersion heaters etc. They have an existing 3 phase supply at the moment.

My question is does the dno have to come out and check whether supply is big enough?

Ive never done a job like this before. Am i correct in that diversity can not be applied to heaters, showers and hobs?

Will the DNO need full list of whats going in the flats or just the total kw power.

Is this common thing or is the client trying to get out of upgrading there gas supply thinking electric will be the cheaper option??

Thanks

Well if there is an existing gas supply at this time it would be prudent IMO to have some service on gas especially heating.

Technically yes there is no diversity on heaters showers, but there is on hobs. But there is little chance that all the showers, hobs etc are going to be on together for any extended time period.

If they are insisting on electric heating then I would personally go for night storage type heaters. There are now some good products for electrical heating on normal tariffs but utilizing cheap tariffs must be still the most cost effective

So luckily you are going to spread the 3 flats over the 3 phases, but remember most likely one of these flats will have to include the common usage.

What is the current 3 phase supply?

You'll also need to consider/ask the client about the (landlord) metering arrangement as well (one per flat and one for the communal areas at a guess). Don't forget the extra signage if you have more than one phase in close proximity. The DNO will ask what supply you need, so you'll have been expected to work that out (it will vary a little depending on what option you go for: ie dual tarrif versus standard supply).

In particular you'll want to know the particular power requirement for the showers (10mm/50A will allow you up to around 11KW depending on route (if going over 45A make sure your isolator is rated appropriately!)). Also the type of hob they intend using (a large variation in power depending on the spec of the hob (induction/halogen/ceramic/standard)).

Oh and don't forget the large variations in cable prices between 6mm/10mm and 16mm! Also clarify who is providing the appliances (they may be expecting you to suggest/quote for them as well).

Last edited:
I told them i will need information on what they want in each flat so i can calculate total power consumption. I have no problem designing internal wiring etc.
Thank you both for your replies.

I will use my onsite guide for diversity on the hob and lighting.

Is it odd to have 2 electric showers per flat? Whats the chances they all get used at the same time along with the hob??

I think that the initial checking of conformity of the electrical installation with the standard and regulation has been achieved.The periodic checking of the installation recommended by the equipment manufacturer is respected.

99% of all flats in docklands have no gas they are all electric . the electrical supplier knows this when the flats are built also a quite a few have 2 showers 1 on suite seen a couple with three showers 2 on suites

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New installtion to have all electric. No gas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net