Discuss New members being upset in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

Just a quick post as im a bit confused about this site, I love the fact that there are some very bright electricians on here that can give very good advise. And if advise can be given to make things safer that is great.

But when we read posts and we are concerned that the person carrying out the work is not up to the job ( competent) then I think we have a right as time served electricians to point out that they get someone in to help them,

I understand that the public have a right to free friendly advice.

But surely should we encourage diy'ers to do work with no knowledge of the risks involved. I did a 4 year apprenticeship and still need to read up and seek advice so that I carry out work safely in accordance with the latest regs.

Is this site all for safe practice or more interested in the amount of hits from customers.

Eddie,

As you very well know, its all about the trade as far as we are concerned but yes, sponsors do play a part.

After all, it is they that keep the site free for all to use.

You are correct in many points in your post, however, just because someone asks a basic question, there is no justification in abusive posts, however severe.

So again i will say that if anyone feels that they do not wish to help someone, then dont post, and move on.

I can assure you and anyone else, that this forum will not end up like the others.

Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Just a quick post as im a bit confused about this site, I love the fact that there are some very bright electricians on here that can give very good advise. And if advise can be given to make things safer that is great.

But when we read posts and we are concerned that the person carrying out the work is not up to the job ( competent) then I think we have a right as time served electricians to point out that they get someone in to help them,

I understand that the public have a right to free friendly advice.

But surely should we encourage diy'ers to do work with no knowledge of the risks involved. I did a 4 year apprenticeship and still need to read up and seek advice so that I carry out work safely in accordance with the latest regs.

Is this site all for safe practice or more interested in the amount of hits from customers.

Good post Eddie, should stir up some good debate. I agree with what you are saying, but it is the manner in which some people advise getting in professional help that is a bit out of order. you make a very good point about your need to still seek advice, I have been in this job for over 30 years and i still get it wrong, and i also need to seek advice, however some replies to posts from DIYer's etc that i read come across as "I know it all" attitude. I have said before on this forum, none of us know it all, but between us i bet we do, some people should remember that.

Cheers..........Howard

i really hope it does not end up like one of the others. i for one will advise anyone i can if i feel they are competent to do something if i feel as though they are not i will offer the advise of getting a professional in if the poster is liable to do him/herself or others some injury etc.

there have been quite a few posts lately that have had to be closed by the mods and thankfully they seem to actually give a dam not like the other forums where people are free to shout down others on there most of the time on the one i am referring to most of the members are in the trade and the constant "I know more than you" really is childish. lets keep this one the best as it is and the members on here are by far in my view some of the best the trade could have.

i really hope it does not end up like one of the others. i for one will advise anyone i can if i feel they are competent to do something if i feel as though they are not i will offer the advise of getting a professional in if the pooster is liable to do him/herself or others some injury etc.

there have been quite a few posts lately that have had to be closed by the mods and thankfully they seem to actually give a dam not like the other forums where people are free to shout down others on there most of the time on the one i am referring to most of the members are in the trade and the constant "I know more than you" really is childish. lets keep this one the best as it is and the members on here are by far in my view some of the best the trade could have.

Well said phill.

I work almost exclusively in commercial, and only do domestic as a favour for friends / other contactors I want to keep in with.
For this reason I have several times almost posted quick queries to do with domestic, but then stopped myself due to some of the 'you don't know that and you call yourself an electrician' responses.
So eddie, your right about this, we do need to lighten up abit. (but your still wrong about the ipad :))

As far as I am aware I only offer relevant advice to electricians on this forum. I do also contribute to a diy forum, but it's only fellow electricians and 'domestic installers' I am talking to on here, or so is my intention.

I am quite new to the trade, about 2 yrs qualified, work for myself and find this forum really useful. As previously stated that we all learn something new everyday and i have learnt alot from this forum already! I hope that any question that i ask, no matter how stupid it seems.........because i do ask stupid questions gets the positive responses that i have already experienced from some of the members on this site. Keep up the good work chaps!!

:D

I work almost exclusively in commercial, and only do domestic as a favour for friends / other contactors I want to keep in with.
For this reason I have several times almost posted quick queries to do with domestic, but then stopped myself due to some of the 'you don't know that and you call yourself an electrician' responses.
So eddie, your right about this, we do need to lighten up abit. (but your still wrong about the ipad :))

you make me chuckle,, ipad rules lol

QUOTE I am a practising electrician Jeremy.

Am after advice - nothings worse than getting a reply to your own thread only to find out that it was a waste of time reading it.

If anyone has got some positive advice then please replyQUOTE

I guess it was my post in response to the above quote from the other thread which has opened a bit of a hornets nest....Just to clarify it was the underlined part of the post which prompted my somewhat caustic reply.The OP's response to an attempt by jeremy to offer advise was arrogant and dismissive....if people come on here and ask for advise then they should respect all posts offering advise in the spirit intended ,even if they dont agree with that advise.

Reply to New members being upset in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net