Discuss New Meter Install in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tronic

Hi Guys,

I am going to rewire a flat above a shop shortly. The current setup is all of one meter. The customer has requested a new meter being installed. Southern Electric are (obvoiusly) taking care of this but have asked me to install a 50mm Black Duct between the existing meter and the flat above.

Will they use 25mm singles or SWA? Has anyone done this before - advice!!

Would surface trunking be acceptable?

Aaron:confused:

The only time 2 inch black duct is used is if the supply cable is drawn under floors or underground.

The type of cable that they will use will be dependent on the original in coming cable.
Could be split concentric or straight concentric.

I think you may need to phone them to find out exactly what they require and why. If the existing meter is on an outside wall (inside) then they may come off of the existing head through wall to outside, up and in.

As said, if its under the floor then duct will be needed.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Thanx for the replies, I am still a bit confused. The original meter is downstairs in the front of a taxi office. The new meter is going in the flat upstairs, on the same wall so about 2.5mtr cable run vertically.

The supply is TN-S.

I dont think i can run 50mm duct in the wall as it's only single skin.

Advice welcome!! ;-)

Ok. ill try and explain.

If the DNO are going to loop off of the existing supply in the taxi office (not common nowadays), then im not sure why they require duct.

This is only generally required if the main supply cable is going underground or under floor boards and wont be accessible when they come to install their cable.

IF they are running the cable up the wall, then they normally just clip it.

To be honest, if you are still unsure then contact SSE. They are usually quite helpful.

Im in Bournemouth and have had dealings with them a few times!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Meter Install in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock