Discuss New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thirst

-
Reaction score
I've been looking in to upgrading the mains supply to a large house that has since been split into 4 flats and add a new ryefield board etc.

UK Power have confirmed we have a cable right outside in the footpath that can be used no problem. UK Power have also confirmed that we will have to dig our own trench and lay 7m of duct on our side in a straight line to the meter cabinet (aka the majority of the heavy work). It's a very straightforward job for them. Make the new connection, pull cable through a straight line duct, connect to new head on wall. I was expecting something in the range of £5k for the entire job. Nope. £12,354.

Here are the options they've given me:

For £2312 UKPN will:
1 x Pot–end
A & D Charges

For £3576 UKPN will:
1 x LV branch Joint
1 x Pot–end
A & D Charges

For £12,354 UKPN will:
  • Install 1 x 200amp BNO service into a common position with access to all tenants 24/7
  • Disconnect the existing service
  • 2 x LV joint holes in the footpath
  • Excavate, Lay & Reinstatement 1m of single way duct from the Point of Connection to the customer’s boundary to meet customer duct.
  • 1 x LV branch Joint
  • 1 x Pot–end
  • Cable Pull
  • Supply Cable, Duct & tile Tape
  • Reinstatement of LA land
  • A & D Charges

So if you take the second and third option the difference is:
Install head, disconnect existing service, dig hole in footpath and fill, pull the cable, supply duct, cable and tape, design (what is there to design)? = £8778

How can UK Power justify such a huge cost?! I know I have a 'right to choose' but I've emailed every company on their approved list and nobody wants to know as it's just one very simple connection. Most have said they only work on residential if its more than 10 connections. As a result I don't really have a 'right to choose'.

Any suggestions? I'm on the verge of just leaving the existing supply and hoping nothing goes bang anytime soon.

New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote IMG_1293 2 - EletriciansForums.net

New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 17.02.03 - EletriciansForums.net

None of them want to know unless I'm installing a wind farm or plan on building 100 houses in the back garden. This is the issue.

When you say 10 flats did they just do the main supply or also the ryefield, meters and tails? Fulcrum escaped me but I've just sent off for a quote. Their website automatically rejects it if you class it as 1 property so 4 it is.

When you say 10 flats did they just do the main supply or also the ryefield, meters and tails? Fulcrum escaped me but I've just sent off for a quote. Their website automatically rejects it if you class it as 1 property so 4 it is.
You usually do all the BNO stuff the ryefield, single point of isolation, ducting etc and they do the cable pull, joint and head.

Exactly as above, unfortunately you’ll still have to foot the bill for UKPN quote which is probably approx £400 for a connection of that size, and I’d image you’ll still have to pay them approx £1200 for the LV breach joint as I don’t think they like the IDNO doing that work...

Last edited:
Leesparkykent, so when you refer to using them on a 11 flat job they just did the single incoming supply? I'm asking because that's all I need, albeit for 4 flats.

So the minimum cost I can get away with for UK power is £2774 and that's to just do 1 x Pot–end and A & D Charges. If I want them to also do the joint then it's £3576.

New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 21.21.11 - EletriciansForums.net

New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote Screenshot 2019-08-21 at 21.21.59 - EletriciansForums.net

The arrangement will be, 1 No. UKPN PEN cable throughly your duct cast in the slab, into a UKPN service head. From there your tails into an isolator then through to a 6 way ryefield
Y’all sure do have it rough and I feel for y’all. Where I live we have 1 power company DUKE ENERGY and I’ve never known them to charge anybody to give them power or extend it. I think you guys are getting taken advantage of.
[automerge]1568033640[/automerge]
Y’all sure do have it rough and I feel for y’all. Where I live we have 1 power company DUKE ENERGY and I’ve never known them to charge anybody to give them power or extend it. I think you guys are getting taken advantage of.
All we have to do is fill out a load sheet and give it to them

Cornwall Lizard peninsula. Quoted circa £35,000 for a single phase overhead supply, TT, to stables/livery we are working on. Two poles available to tap off within 200 metres in each direction. Promise of a proportionate rebate as /when /If! Subsequent installs are made of the new leg.

Cornwall Lizard peninsula. Quoted circa £35,000 for a single phase overhead supply, TT, to stables/livery we are working on. Two poles available to tap off within 200 metres in each direction. Promise of a proportionate rebate as /when /If! Subsequent installs are made of the new leg.

Seems a lot, although there may be other work entailed not immediately apparent, such as if there is insufficient capacity at the two poles you mention, something further away may need alteration.

Possibly appeal the cost...there must be an organisation that you can appeal to. Might even be mentioned on their web site / quotation.

None of them want to know unless I'm installing a wind farm or plan on building 100 houses in the back garden. This is the issue.
same here - 200KVA supply; cable in the path same side of road, that'll be £15K.
We tried a few IDNOs - none interested basically as job too small.
Nowhere else to turn, and per other thread can't even get a flippin' meter installed. Mad, just mad.

and ...
our business rates have doubled.
corporation tax has increased by 30%
dealing with EU now a pita, several of our key suppliers have pulled out of UK to EU, so we are paying costly shipping charges from EU plus bureaucracy.

Nice to see government is supporting small businesses.

no bloody staff to recruit either, all gone back to EU, or can't be bothered to work after covid, but we can pay extortionate fees to agencies for useless muppets.

Going to need that (mythical) bonfire of red tape to keep warm at this rate.

That's it for the week - I'm off for a beer.
(actually even that's bs - I have to work tomorrow)
happy days + apologies for the whinging
</rant>

Reply to New UK Power Supply - Unbelievable quote in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock