Discuss Newbie looking for electrical advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone. First-time poster trying to get opinions. I'm by no means educated with the lingo and will try to explain everything to the best of my knowledge. I currently do maintenance at a drink restaurant and well been having issues with our ice machine GFI outlet. Before I replace the part to see if that's the problem I wanted to see what you guys think. So I was told it the ice maker shuts off occasionally but not every day. when it happens, then just reset the breaker after a few minutes and it seems to work again. The manager thinks water from condensation GFI causing it the trip. I've attached an image for you guys to better understand the location. Also when this happens some equipment to the left of it the ice maker seems to stop working, as if theres other outlets connected. But looking at the picture, it appears the ice maker is on its own separate line. The other manager believes its the ground GFI thats marked on the page thats getting wet causing it to trip. It is closed off. Any opinions or suggestions would help. I know calling an electrician would be the easiest but I just want to see if this is something simple or common before doing so. Thank you so much.

Newbie looking for electrical advice Untitled - EletriciansForums.net

You should be able to narrow it down to the machine, the circuit or the environment by process of elimination. If the circuit is shared, it could be a cumulative leakage issue, so test with and without other appliances simultaneously.

Try other things in the outlet and see if it trips.

My money is on faulty ice maker.

Has it been cleaned regularly? There’s a drain in these things and if it’s blocked, the water backs up and can spill over onto the workings.

@Rockstar are you saying that when the ice maker trips the GFCI receptacle that others quit working also. When GFCI’s trip numerous times they can go bad and start nusince tripping. Commercial kitchens requires GFCI receptacles but with appliances they have to have isolated circuits with no other loads on them
[automerge]1569447134[/automerge]
@Rockstar are you saying that when the ice maker trips the GFCI receptacle that others quit working also. When GFCI’s trip numerous times they can go bad and start nusince tripping. Commercial kitchens requires GFCI receptacles but with appliances they have to have isolated circuits with no other loads on them
Don’t tell your manger but I highly doubt that condensation is the problem every GFCI in that kitchen that has appliances must be isolated circuits
[automerge]1569447892[/automerge]
Hi everyone. First-time poster trying to get opinions. I'm by no means educated with the lingo and will try to explain everything to the best of my knowledge. I currently do maintenance at a drink restaurant and well been having issues with our ice machine GFI outlet. Before I replace the part to see if that's the problem I wanted to see what you guys think. So I was told it the ice maker shuts off occasionally but not every day. when it happens, then just reset the breaker after a few minutes and it seems to work again. The manager thinks water from condensation GFI causing it the trip. I've attached an image for you guys to better understand the location. Also when this happens some equipment to the left of it the ice maker seems to stop working, as if theres other outlets connected. But looking at the picture, it appears the ice maker is on its own separate line. The other manager believes its the ground GFI thats marked on the page thats getting wet causing it to trip. It is closed off. Any opinions or suggestions would help. I know calling an electrician would be the easiest but I just want to see if this is something simple or common before doing so. Thank you so much.

View attachment 52542
Your drawing shows that the ice maker is on its own circuit panel PA breaker # 8. I hate to say this but some electricians can’t stick their finger up there butt with out a road map. Once and for all push the test button and make it trip if something else quits working and if that’s so call a license electrician and ask for thier license number. We have big electrical companies that send people on jobs and they have that deer in the headlight look, they can’t read prints they don’t have a clue what their doing and to make it easer on them selfs so they put other loads on.the same circuit and hope it don’t show up

Last edited:
Thank you so much guys. I greatly appreciate your help. I will talk come to the manager with your advice. I've been on forums before, and it's been hit and miss on postings but in this case, you guys are on top of things.

Reply to Newbie looking for electrical advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock