Discuss Newbie, mature entry career changer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Matt.

-
Reaction score
Hey all,

Newbie from Herts here. Joined up to research on what I would need to do train myself up as an electrician (City and Guilds L2 & L3 is the plan). Been looking at the XS training site.

Bit a about me, 36 years old, currently working in an IT and Systems remit and also a qualified accountant. Bored of it, always wanted a practical job where I use my brain and feel becoming an Electrician is the ticket.

The enabler for the change of work direction is selling up my home in Herts and moving to Pembrokeshire (my wife is from there). My current career path doesn't offer opportunities over there so now is the time to train up and try and get into the industry.

In terms of experience I am limited but keen. I've renevated my house mostly by myself (plumbing, plasterboarding, kitchens and bathrooms, flooring etc.) except for electricals where I basically mated with a qualified chap to get bigger jobs done.

I also work on restoring older cars for fun so do like think I have a broad practical mindset!

Got my eye on a few firms over in Pembrokeshire, aiming to get L2 done before I move, online then AM2 course and then make contact with the firms so I can do some sort of role to achieve L3 practical experience over in Pembs. I'm planning on funding it all myself as can't see another way at my age.

Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey all,

Newbie from Herts here. Joined up to research on what I would need to do train myself up as an electrician (City and Guilds L2 & L3 is the plan). Been looking at the XS training site.

Bit a about me, 36 years old, currently working in an IT and Systems remit and also a qualified accountant. Bored of it, always wanted a practical job where I use my brain and feel becoming an Electrician is the ticket.

The enabler for the change of work direction is selling up my home in Herts and moving to Pembrokeshire (my wife is from there). My current career path doesn't offer opportunities over there so now is the time to train up and try and get into the industry.

In terms of experience I am limited but keen. I've renevated my house mostly by myself (plumbing, plasterboarding, kitchens and bathrooms, flooring etc.) except for electricals where I basically mated with a qualified chap to get bigger jobs done.

I also work on restoring older cars for fun so do like think I have a broad practical mindset!

Got my eye on a few firms over in Pembrokeshire, aiming to get L2 done before I move, online then AM2 course and then make contact with the firms so I can do some sort of role to achieve L3 practical experience over in Pembs. I'm planning on funding it all myself as can't see another way at my age.

Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Sounds a good plan mate and you've still got plenty of working years left in you!

Yes, welcome to the forum Matt. Plenty of threads containing different paths to take. Use the search button and then at the bottom of the page there’s a ‘similar thread’ section that takes you down the rabbit hole. Get reading and get planning.
Talk to the sponsors XS who have a click button on the side of the page.

Hi Matt!

I'm in a similar situation to you, and did the 5 week wonder course back in Jan. Currently I am working for several local domestic electricians on a day rate in order to gain experience on the tools and to mine them for info.

Factor in lower wages (compared to an experienced IT worker) for a while, and find a local guy to shadow - maybe even offer your time for free if your savings can cope with it, as you'll be more likely to tag along with a solo operator on their usual jobs.

And always handy having your own decent set of 2nd fix tools as a minimum, and some first fix if your budget can cope. Having your own tools from the outset makes things a lot simpler. Some of your DIY tools will suffice to start with, but you'll soon want to upgrade!

Also... I'm loving it! Practical work is so much more satisfying, although you will get sore knees (so get some good trousers with knee pad inserts, and a decent dust mask with proper filters - you'll thank me later).

Reply to Newbie, mature entry career changer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock