Discuss Newly Qualified in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a newly qualified electrician (6 months ago). I did a 4 year apprenticeship. I am really struggling at the moment, I feel like I don't know basic things that I should be expected to know. I did 2 years of my apprenticeship working at a housing association and then moved to finish my final 2 years with a local electrician working on multi million pound new build homes. I don't feel as if I was taught very much in the last 2 years.
My boss doesn't really speak to much to me and clearly favours the one other sparky he employs. The other employee tells me where I am working and sorts stuff out for me etc. I never get asked to run a job or for any in put.

Is there any course or further learning I can do which can help me? I really want to know all I can about my trade and I really enjoy the work but just feel like I know nothing!

Thanks in advanced..

You joined today Wilkie but have you been reading this forum for all of those 4 years apprenticeship? Have you been investing everything into learning the theory and the experiences of others? I have read posts back to 2008 on this forum it is all there and you need to immerse yourself into it BUT everyone is different and learn different ways so that's my recommendation.

Hi W, sorry to hear you're a bit stressed out. You are not in any sense unique - many finish their apprenticeship with a very limited work experience. Your boss must have thought you were good enough when he employed you! Don't put yourself down. Don't be frightened to ask questions on here or at work. It's unfortunate your boss doesn't appear supportive at the mo, but show willing, keep in with the other spark and see how it goes.
Are there particular areas you are feeling less confident about?

Hi bud,cheer up,things are rarely as bad as they seem :)

It would assist,if you list the qualifications you have attained,and any additional learning.

Qualifications and certificates,do not prove things one way or another,but they can give an indication of other attributes.

I already feel for you,as most on here,have managed to weave their lives into a gordian knot...now we get the chance to do the same to you ;)

Hi Will I find it really hard to understand how you could do four years work on new build and social housing and you feel you know, well, not as much as you should. What were you doing all those years? What is it you do not know? What do you want/need to know? Start asking here. Although tbh I sometimes give work to a young man who while having completed three years of training on EAL course has to be watched like a hawk as he is pretty clueless, which again I find a bit surprising. Perhaps you need to look for work that is taking you where you want to go? Very puzzling I must say. You say you want to know all about the trade, were you asking questions every day?

Okay so i have an NVQ level 3 diploma installing electrotechnical systems and equiptment, BS7671 wiring regulations and have completed my AM2. This is the first time i have come across this forum so i have not been reading it, although i will now ive found it!
The things i feel least confident about are the regulation and theory side of things. I attended college 1 day a week for the first 3 years and then for a further 1 day a month in my 4th year. I always thought i was doing okay.. I passed all my exams first time and asked questions when i needed to in class.
I learned a lot in my first 2 years in the social housing. If i was told to go and wire a standard town house - no problem.
What i think im looking for is a bit of a refresher for the regulations and theory side of things and go from there?

Thanks

So it's not all doom and gloom then!
Spend as much time as you can jotting down areas where you don't have a grasp on the regs and issues that might come up and then use the search facility on this forum to read about members experiences - at the bottom of each threads is a 'similar questions asked' which you can then follow onto. Like I say - 'immerse yourself' - have a note pad and the BYB and onsite guide and augment your qualification and experience. All the best!

Some of the things you find on this forum are amazing and 99.9% of the people are both friendly and helpful. Like a couple of people have mentioned,go back through stuff on here. Its amazing what you learn.I did the C&G 2357, NVQ3 and AM2 about 3 years ago. No one knows everything about this job. Everyday's a school day!!! If in doubt ask,but before asking, maybe try and find a solution/answer yourself and when you find what you think is the solution/answer, you can always run it past people on here.

same as what them other reprobates said. all comes with experience and asking about things you're not sure about. one problem is that, with the work you have been doing, is that someone else has done all the theoretical stuff and design, so the guys on the tools just run such and such cables to points on a plan, connect up accessories as per plan, with no need to worry about boring things like current and volt drop. loads of threads on this forum about design calculations, and several youtube videos, notably by chris kitcher and john ward covering technical info.

As the lads have already said, have a good look around the forum and immerse yourself in to the threads.
Everyone is different, some people can read a book and learn a great deal while others find it better learning on the job. the Beauty of the all the threads on here is that any question you might have as probably already been asked and answered so you will come accross random threads which will contain questions you may not have thought about asking.
If you can't find what you need after searching then obviously feel free to start a thread just remember to include as much information you have in the opening post, this allows the members to give you the best answers.

Every day is a school day, I myself have learnt very much here, 38 years in the trade, we all like to think we are the best.? Lots of years experience here hundreds.!

Reply to Newly Qualified in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock