• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Elliott96

Regular EF Member
Im sure this has probably been asked before in this forum but ive just upgraded a fuseboard today and found no earth in the lighting (two core). Obviously the next thing to do would be to tell the customer either rewire or change everything on that circuit to class 2 fittings and accessories, but in this case the customer didnt want to go ahead with either.... what should i do? Cutting the circuit out would be abit extreme?

peterhyper

Regular EF Member
Absolutely nothing you can do. As long as you have a clear record of what you have informed the customer and stuck a warning on their consumer unit (i always take a picture when I've done it) and if they choose to not have a rewire and keep their lovely metal light switches and fittings then that's up to them.

Elliott96

Regular EF Member
Absolutely nothing you can do. As long as you have a clear record of what you have informed the customer and stuck a warning on their consumer unit (i always take a picture when I've done it) and if they choose to not have a rewire and keep their lovely metal light switches and fittings then that's up to them.
Thats what i thought but what warning label can i use? Only found no provisions for earth do not replace insulated light fitting and accessories with metal ones. But that doesn’t really make sense seeings as they are already metal!

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yep... would you of left them with no lights?
Rather than energising a circuit with no earth and connected metal fittings ? Hard to say, what does your risk assessment say ?

Basically you've dropped a bollock and should have checked before the CU change and given the customer options at that stage.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Thats what i thought but what warning label can i use? Only found no provisions for earth do not replace insulated light fitting and accessories with metal ones. But that doesn’t really make sense seeings as they are already metal!
That’s the label you should use.
If they ignore the advice, that’s their look out.

Elliott96

Regular EF Member
Rather than energising a circuit with no earth and connected metal fittings ? Hard to say, what does your risk assessment say ?

Basically you've dropped a bollock and should have checked before the CU change and given the customer options at that stage.
Come on you cant tell me you drop every fitting in the house before a fuseboard change???

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Come on you cant tell me you drop every fitting in the house before a fuseboard change???
I make an assessment of the system at the quoting stage and quote accordingly. This evening I dropped 8 light switches because a homebuyer survey had flagged up the possibility of no cpc on the lights.
The regs require you to make sure the system is suitable for the alteration before you do the work. Fundamental principles.

spinlondon

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I have a customer who has no CPC on their lighting.
Thought she’d change the plastic switches for some brushed stainless steel ones.
Told me she’d earthed it.
What she did, is put a fly lead from the back box to the face plate.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Cheers! So should i put it on the cert as a departure, put the sticker on and get out?
You have a serious problem here. You have replaced a consumer unit and energised a circuit which does not incorporate a cpc which supplies class I fittings. It is not a departure and there is no notice you can put in place which is supported by BS7671.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.