Discuss no earth terminal. what would you do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as title. using existing back boxes ( lighting) as original VIR cable in capping and managed to re-use route to save chasing. boxes are tight and nailed in. removal would cause a lot of damage to decor. no earth terminal in box, so my solution was to drill the side of the box and fit screw. obviously a 2mm HSS bit is no good to drill into the brick, that's why it's in the side. would have been neater if I'd gotmy box of ring crimps on site, but hey ho. at least the box is earthed.

no earth terminal. what would you do? boxearth - EletriciansForums.net

That looks terrible. Drill and tap with crimps and shake-proof washer.
it's compliant. domestic jobs - no wriggle room for the extra hours that would take. original was 1950's no cpc on circuits whatever. customer may want to change to metal switches in future, so cpc's are there.

as title. using existing back boxes ( lighting) as original VIR cable in capping and managed to re-use route to save chasing. boxes are tight and nailed in. removal would cause a lot of damage to decor. no earth terminal in box, so my solution was to drill the side of the box and fit screw. obviously a 2mm HSS bit is no good to drill into the brick, that's why it's in the side. would have been neater if I'd gotmy box of ring crimps on site, but hey ho. at least the box is earthed.

View attachment 43835
Done exactly that in the old days Tel, but not used a countersunk type screw, but if that's all you have, hey ho jobs a good un.

By the time you have faffed about trying to get those cpcs around that screw I would have drilled and tapped the back box. I guarantee I could pull those cpcs off with little effort.

By the time you have faffed about trying to get those cpcs around that screw I would have drilled and tapped the back box. I guarantee I could pull those cpcs off with little effort.
doubtfull each wraps round screw twice.

nice job ,are you out of your apprenticeship yet .:rolleyes: it saves you using a sledge hammer to it .

I would have done exactly the same, ideally a pan head screw would have been better.....but it’s earthed and that backbox will be far better quality than the wafer thin sh*te we have today!

Dejavu - come near this backbox and I’ll scream for help!
You’ve obviously threatened to pull something apart before!

Get some multi-drill bits to drill the box and masonry, might bugger the tap after a while but at least you have a decent connection.

sod it.i get a R1+R2 = 0.67 ohms. approx 30m of 1.0mm T/E. ticks the box afaik.

I have one of these in my van for jobs like that.:rolleyes:
no earth terminal. what would you do? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to no earth terminal. what would you do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock