• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss no earth terminal. what would you do? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
as title. using existing back boxes ( lighting) as original VIR cable in capping and managed to re-use route to save chasing. boxes are tight and nailed in. removal would cause a lot of damage to decor. no earth terminal in box, so my solution was to drill the side of the box and fit screw. obviously a 2mm HSS bit is no good to drill into the brick, that's why it's in the side. would have been neater if I'd gotmy box of ring crimps on site, but hey ho. at least the box is earthed.

boxearth.jpg

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
That looks terrible. Drill and tap with crimps and shake-proof washer.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Could use some multi-construction drill bits and drill/tap into the back of the box.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
That looks terrible. Drill and tap with crimps and shake-proof washer.
it's compliant. domestic jobs - no wriggle room for the extra hours that would take. original was 1950's no cpc on circuits whatever. customer may want to change to metal switches in future, so cpc's are there.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
as title. using existing back boxes ( lighting) as original VIR cable in capping and managed to re-use route to save chasing. boxes are tight and nailed in. removal would cause a lot of damage to decor. no earth terminal in box, so my solution was to drill the side of the box and fit screw. obviously a 2mm HSS bit is no good to drill into the brick, that's why it's in the side. would have been neater if I'd gotmy box of ring crimps on site, but hey ho. at least the box is earthed.

View attachment 43835
Done exactly that in the old days Tel, but not used a countersunk type screw, but if that's all you have, hey ho jobs a good un.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Jobs a cack n.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
Could use some multi-construction drill bits and drill/tap into the back of the box.
maybe, but needed to get away before the pubs closed. anyway.job is tight pricewise as it is.

westward10

Staff member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
By the time you have faffed about trying to get those cpcs around that screw I would have drilled and tapped the back box. I guarantee I could pull those cpcs off with little effort.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
By the time you have faffed about trying to get those cpcs around that screw I would have drilled and tapped the back box. I guarantee I could pull those cpcs off with little effort.
doubtfull each wraps round screw twice.

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
nice job ,are you out of your apprenticeship yet .:rolleyes: it saves you using a sledge hammer to it .

KEV 1 N

Electrician's Arms
I would have done exactly the same, ideally a pan head screw would have been better.....but it’s earthed and that backbox will be far better quality than the wafer thin sh*te we have today!

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
Dejavu - come near this backbox and I’ll scream for help!
You’ve obviously threatened to pull something apart before!

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.