Discuss Single core cable in conduit terminating outside in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gaz9428

DIY
Reaction score
Looking for some advice;

I am intending to mount two led downlights on pillars/brick walls either side of the garage door opening. I will drill through the cavity to feed the cable through. There will be a PIR sensor mounted in the middle above the garage door.

Internally i wanted to put the cables in white 20mm PVC round conduit to keep it neat and afford it some protection. There would be some bends and boxes.

I was going to use single core 1.5mm2 cables for the wiring, my only objection/thought was when the cabling would leave the conduit to go through the cavity there would be 3 single insulated cables, this will potentially be problematic when the cables go through the grommet into the light fitting as it would usually be a single cable with 2 cores plus cpc.

I can only see my options as follows;

1 - Use single core wires and sheath them when they leave the conduit in some heat shrink to make 'one' cable.

2 - Use double insulated 3 core cable in the conduit (Worried that on some sections 2 cables will be in the 20mm conduit and it will be too tight)

3 - Run the last section where the cables go through the cavity in double insulated 3 core cable and joint at entry into the conduit and run in single cores internally.

4 - Run double insulated cable externally and internally and do away with the conduit

5 - Run the single core cables straight into the light fitting and ensure around the fitting is correctly sealed.

If anyone has any other ideas or solutions please feel free to comment.

Conduit cables must never exit the containment to run through the cavity or enter the fitting. While sleeving them will offer some protection, it will not create a cable of known, approved specification. I would terminate them at the adjacent box and run UV-resistant round sheathed cable e.g. H07 to the fitting, as is the normal method.

And don't forget that cables should not pass through the cavity without protection.
One option would be to run conduit from the back of a box, through the wall, and into the back of another box outside. Then connect (choc-block, Wagos, crimpts, whatever) in the outside box and a flexible (going through a gland for sealing and strain relief as it exits the box) cable to the luminaire.

And don't forget that cables should not pass through the cavity without protection.
One option would be to run conduit from the back of a box, through the wall, and into the back of another box outside. Then connect (choc-block, Wagos, crimpts, whatever) in the outside box and a flexible (going through a gland for sealing and strain relief as it exits the box) cable to the luminaire.
agree. run 20mm conduit through wall. (22mm hole should be just right) box on both sides of wall..

agree. run 20mm conduit through wall. (22mm hole should be just right) box on both sides of wall..
forgot to add,,, use appropriate couplers etc. and the proper glue that melts the conduit and gives you a high. be careful if using a ladder, a good high could be a bad fall.

Reply to Single core cable in conduit terminating outside in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock